• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from the Netherlands!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mermaid Magnolia

Sep 8, 2017
Hi there!

My name is Magnolia. I'm in my twenties and live in the central of the Netherlands.

I was 16 when I scuba'd for the first time. It was in Bali. It was amazing! Everything was so beautiful, colorful... tons of fish and coral. And I felt so free, floating through the water, breathing flawlessly I've craved for more since. I've also scuba'd in Tunisia. Was awesome as well.

I'm also an enthusiastic snorkler, my best snorkling experience was in Corfu, Greece.

Saw a giant sea turtle, orange starfish, shrimps, tons of fish and other life.

I've also picked up mermaiding and found that I absolutely adore monofin swimming. I have a Hydra monofin and a Subgear Trygons competitor. Love how fast I can swim with it!

I don't have any certifications yet, but I want to go for freediving soon (I have bought all the required gear) and after that, I want to get scuba certified. I want to get better at breath holding and equalizing for that feeling of freedom, and I want to be able to dive without an instructor (but with buddy ofc :D)

Oh, and could anyone direct me to a cool spearfishing video on youtube? I was rather unfamiliar with spearfishing before I stumbled upon this community… it looks really cool!

Also, this is something I often feel alone in... but I HATE wearing wetsuits! Of course I wouldn't be so stupid to not wear one when it's cold, but I absolutely don't see the point of wearing one when the water is warm. I've also been a surfer for more than six years, and I never wear a wetsuit when surfing, either. When people who swim in the sea are only wearing a bikini, then why should I wear a wetsuit? It's so unbearably hot. It's like an overheated prison. The first time I surfed we were told to wear a wetsuit, no one bothered to explain why and I nearly fainted because of the heat.

I do see the point of wearing a wetsuit when freediving (being hot requires less oxygen, so you can stay under water longer), but when scubadiving? When it's not cold? Why?

My other interests include cooking, playing video games, playing the cello, literature, crafting, red wine... :) Pleased to meet you all! :)

Welcome to the forum!

Regarding the wetsuit, when freediving and especially spearfishing you are often out for hours (not uncommon with 4-5hrs). It is also a activity based on trying to spend as little energy as possible in order to consume as little oxygen as possible and therefore your body don't work up a heat the same way you do when doing other activities such as surfing or swimming.

There are wetsuits all the way from mm-thin rashguards that don't give heat at all, to real thick 7mm (and probably even thicker than that) ones for diving in Scandinavian conditions. Im shure you could find on that would suit your needs.. the wetsuit also makes the season longer.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT