• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello from the woods.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Epsilon

Sep 24, 2005
Hi!

After few posts to the forum I started thinking that maybe it would be polite to introduce myself. So here goes...

My name is Väinö Friman, I'm 24 years old student from Tampere, Finland. I've been freediving for a bit over one year. I'm studying to be mathematics teacher, should start working on my master thesis any day now. Opportunities for freediving are at the moment rather limitited; I'm doing my civil service (the alternative to army) as a guide in the Seitseminen national parks visitors center. So, while I'm working I'm living here in the woods, and only training possible is dry training.

From freediving disciplines static seems to be the one I have some talent in, I'm not sure if that's the one I like most.

Väinö

Ps. Anyone interested in Bourbakis approach of the theory of sets?

Epsilon said:

Yes, statics should always be done in sets! rofl

Welcome to DB Väinö.

Adrian

Wellcome aboard Väinö

The static training will give you a good breathe hold, and that will give you lot of confidence for the other disciplines. So, if you are in the woods now, keep doing that dry training, it will help a lot in your next dive.

Try the dry walking, I like it very much. It teach me a lot about rithm and pace.

Saludos

Carlos

One of my fellow diver here in Tampere commented on dry statics quite aptly: "It's like freediving without any of the good things."

But walking apnea is ok, should do it in the quiet hours during the work day :)

Training while you should be doing something else is fun. I've done 4.30 dry static during a special educations lecture...

Reactions: naiad
Epsilon said:
Hi!

After few posts to the forum I started thinking that maybe it would be polite to introduce myself. So here goes...

My name is Väinö Friman, I'm 24 years old student from Tampere, Finland. I've been freediving for a bit over one year. I'm studying to be mathematics teacher, should start working on my master thesis any day now. Opportunities for freediving are at the moment rather limitited; I'm doing my civil service (the alternative to army) as a guide in the Seitseminen national parks visitors center. So, while I'm working I'm living here in the woods, and only training possible is dry training.

From freediving disciplines static seems to be the one I have some talent in, I'm not sure if that's the one I like most.

Väinö

Welcome to DB!

Are you enjoying the civil service?

Said

Epsilon said:
Training while you should be doing something else is fun. I've done 4.30 dry static during a special educations lecture...
I do the same! :)

Welcome aboard.

Lucia

Welcome! I just finished my Masters in Computer Science and I am (just flip your numbers around and you get my age!)

You will meet all kinds here.

I'll bet you are freezing your whazzits off guiding people around a park this time of year in Finland too! Probably 22 hours a day with a flashlight, right? :D

Bret

Said,
the civil service is just as enjoyable as working full time job with about no pay for 13 months can be :)

Luckily I do my guiding sitting inside in the visitors centre. And in fact it hasn't been that cold lately. Proper winter is just starting, we didn't even have snow until few days ago. But it sure is dark outside, we have daylight from about 9.30am to 15.30pm, and rest of the day is more or less pitch black. And the day will get shorter still before the situation gets any better.

Finland is a great place to live.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT