• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hello there from Switzerland...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JD Anon

Apr 16, 2016
and yeah, there's no sea at all - we're completely landlocked. Which is a tragedy really because I (29 yoa) am in complete love with the sea. I swim a lot (only in summer though since Switzerland tends to get cold in Winter) and I got scuba certified at age 13 or so... so I have a bunch of dives logged. A lot of freshwater stuff but also some dives in the med. However, this doesn't really appeal to me at all to be honest, having to handle, maintain (and also buy) all that gear, and then you feel like an astronaut too... it's just weird.

So this is basically what brings me here. I am a complete newbie but hope to get into the sport (if you want to call it that) of spearfishing. For a long time I didn't even know this was a real thing, but then I saw a spearfishing video where a guy pulled a yellowfin tuna... and I knew this was it. Minimal gear and just you and the ocean. Also, the thought of providing your own fresh, healthy food appeals very much to me. I am generally a very outdoorsy type (always out and about in Nature whenever I can), rather athletic and I get into sports easy. I don't know... it's just that I like to move, always did, and I learn things fast and easy... and I decide to finally give this a real shot.

Actually, I am currently on travels in Indonesia (I know, it's a hotspot, but also rather difficult logistically- and I have no gear) but am moving on soon. So essentially, I am wondering where would the best spots be to find spearos that are willing to take a newbie under their wings? You know, where theres a thriving community, or a spearo club or something. A spot where I could eventually stay for a while (actually, a month or two, maybe three...) that are suited to newbies/ intermediates (but without being completely off the map, so ideally it would be a small-ish city of sorts...I'm thinking May/ June and then September, October, November). Have you guys any thoughts on, idk, Auckland or Cape Town for example?
Since I am traveling anyways, basically the whole world is open right now and I would really take advantage of this opportunity...

I know this just was a lot of information (and questions), but any thoughts or inputs are much appreciated...

Looking forward to spending more time on these forums here...

Best
J

Welcome to Deeperblue! You might want to search the intro/greets threads as well as the regional subforums for the areas where you'd like to meet up with other divers. You could also look into freediving schools in those locations. That would give you a big boost in technique as well as safety.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT