• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help about diving in Thailand

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Originally posted by DeepThought
What / where is PNG?
Papua New Guinea is an Island country above Australia.

It has a mainly agrarian economy with 1/4 of its foreign exports coming from the Ok Tedi copper mine. (Owned and operated by my employer BHP-Billiton).

Fish include dogtooth tuna, mackerel, coral trout, wahoo, sailfish, marlin, jobfish and various species of cods, groupers and parrot fish.

I think the last tribe that had never seen a white man (or at least had seen one and didnt eat him) was discovered in the fifties.. (I think by Nat. Geo.):)

Abriapnea:
Shlom ma shlomch , Michael ...
I am happy to help , worked in Eilat in '87 and met some wonderful people .
:D I'm fine, 10q.
If I had answered in hebrew, would you have understood? :D:D

'87, now that's probably 3 years before my first scuba dive (in the dolphin riff), where did you work?

Abriapnea:
It will be their good season then , whereas ours is rapidly coming to an end . As I mentioned ; you might not even be able to get here .
:(:( if there was one place I thought I was sure to visit it was koh tau. I don't know if I'll stay till Feb. :(

Do you know what are the conditions at koh chang/koh kut? if I remember correct one of them is a national park.

Do you also happen to know what water temps I should expect? in the andaman and thailand gulf (even if it's in Feb) since I'm used to use a suit only for scuba.

Toda raba Abri. (that you should be able to understand) :D

PNG

Shadowkiller:
Papua New Guinea is an Island country above Australia. /QUOTE]
:) 10x, I just didn't figure the acronym.

It has a mainly agrarian economy with 1/4 of its foreign exports coming from the Ok Tedi copper mine. (Owned and operated by my employer BHP-Billiton).
Jeez, for a moment there I thought you meant 'by my employee'. rofl

So, any chance you'll be sent there for "job necessities"? ;)

Michael , sorry I haven't got back to you , we are having serious server problems .
Water temp in the gulf : 26 c. in Andaman 29 I guess .
There are 2 Koh Chang's , one on each coast . Don't really know anything about them .
Mail me from BKK and I can tell you if boats are coming to Koh Tao .

Abri:
Michael , sorry I haven't got back to you , we are having serious server problems
Don't worry about it, I'll probably know the specific date of arrival to BKK this week, but it won't be before December 6th anyhow, so I have lots of time.

And even when I'll arrive, my plan, which I still don't know if plausible, will give me atleast 2 months before arriving to Ko Tao.

Here is my plan for now, just incase you can comment on it (don't feel obligated. :) )

I wanna head north for some trekking and sightseeing in north Thai and Burma, then to the burmesean coast, and catch some island sands under my feet, back to Puket, Phi phi and the surroundings, then hopfully it'll b closer to - or even february, and I'll move eastwards to Pangan, Tao, then Chang, if that's the name of that nature park, bangkok, and back home.

The only improtent thing I still haven't fugured yet is, if it's possible to travel from central Burma (Rangoon, mendaly and so) to the andaman sea (westwards). Because I understood that some areas in Burma are closed to tourists.

26c and 29c water temps? :cool: I'll feel almost at home (probably better). 29 is skin diving for sure, and 26, well, depends, but probably also, I hope that the watertemps won't drop till January, since I won't get wet before.

10x Abri, you've been a great help!! I'll buy you a drink when/if I'll get to Koh Tao. :friday
(and if I'll still have some money upon me by then. ;) )

At the moment access to Koh Tao is intermittend . The regular ferries only make it about three days per week . Let me know closer to your visit and I'll keep you updated .

Hi.

As it seems now, that we might not be able to go to sharm after all, since my brother Pekka cant leave on 13th of decemeber, and the next flight from here to sharm is too late.
We have given a litle thought to coming to thailand for week, 14-22 of december.
Trips from here to thailand are mostly to phuket.
Any information about diving there would be appreciated.
It would also be great to meet other db members there, would you be there at that time michael, abri?

Thanks for all help.

Tuomo

Hi Tuomo ; sure , I'll be in Koh Tao ; but if you are coming over for a week you will not want to waste time here .
Krabi/Phuket/Phi Phi is were you want to be . Guess I won't see you guys ...:head

tuomo:
As it seems now, that we might not be able to go to sharm after all, since my brother Pekka cant leave on 13th of decemeber, and the next flight from here to sharm is too late.
Can't you take a connection flight? every travel agent will probably find a way to get you there, it's just a question of money and flight time.

I'm trying to persuade you not to skip sharm since I will probably be in north Thailand or Burma (Myanmar) at that time. :(:(
I'm doing a kind of a long "backpack" sort of a trip, so I don't know if I'll even get wet on the first month of the trip - I'm landing at bangkok on the 6th of December. I was afraid that if I'll start at the islands I'll stay there for the whole couple of months, so I'm keeping the "wet" part as a two months dessert (from a 3 months plan. :)).

Check this thread:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30147
Maybe you'll get to meet Bevan or Roland.

Good luck.

We would very much prefer to go to sharm,
but since the tourism trips are about half of the price of us taking a commercial flight from here to sharm and reserving the hotel by ourselves.
Since we are anyhow a bit too late, it is possible that we cant get the tickets to Thailand either. Or either end up spending quite a bit of money..:head

Have to make some plans soon. I'll post here when weve decided where and when we will be going, if at all. Maybe with good luck, meet some db members.

Tuomo

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT