• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help! Basic starting questions

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

madmaxoh

Jan 27, 2021
I gained from a friend a speargun and fins showed on photo below. The questions are:

Is that a good lengo to start?

I don't weight yet. Fins flote. Is that right?

Do I need to invest in good proper fins, gun, weight and fins? I suppose it's all important. But where I should focus?

Cheers

Reactions: Andrew the fish
Photo gun and floating fins

Attachments

• IMG_20210120_124522.jpg
    IMG_20210120_124522.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 293
Unless the water is incredibly warm where you dive, the first thing you should consider is a good suit.
Others will say a good gun but don’t listen to them, haha;-)
A good suit will keep you in the water longer, you’ll learn more, you’ll be more comfortable and relaxed and that can’t be emphasized enough.
After that, maybe a better gun and fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: madmaxoh
Wetsuit needed in hot water too, with corresponding thick. But with buying of wetsuit don't forget about weight belt.

Madmaxoh, welcome to forum. Goody bag, knife, wetsuit and weights, stringer, float etc, it is all not obvious until you start getting fish. I used to spearfish at teen age with similar set up with what is on your picture. Black Sea is about 24C in the summer but I didn't care at the time, I was fishing, not shopping for more "stuff".

Please remember, the knife may not be necessary and looks like unneeded for a while, but once it can safe your self.

Unless the water is incredibly warm where you dive, the first thing you should consider is a good suit.
Others will say a good gun but don’t listen to them, haha;-)
A good suit will keep you in the water longer, you’ll learn more, you’ll be more comfortable and relaxed and that can’t be emphasized enough.
After that, maybe a better gun and fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes! I plus 5 dives with a wetsuit jacket and I can't stay in more than 20-30min! I surely need a wetsuit.
About fins I saw most use large fins I already have ones on my eyes.

Thanks for replying!

Wetsuit needed in hot water too, with corresponding thick. But with buying of wetsuit don't forget about weight belt.
Weight is it important as I see. My dives (up to 5/6 meters till now) are about snorkeling with the tube looking down and around if I see something moving, when approaching rocks or some small boats wrecks I dive down to the bottom and check. Until now no success.

Weight is it important as I see. My dives (up to 5/6 meters till now) are about snorkeling with the tube looking down and around if I see something moving, when approaching rocks or some small boats wrecks I dive down to the bottom and check. Until now no success.
Depending on your own weight, used wetsuit thickness, and the depth of spearfishing you need to vary weights on your weight belt.
Important - do not overloading your weight belt - it very dangerous.
You must have neutral buoyancy at yours spearfishing depth.

Depending on your own weight, used wetsuit thickness, and the depth of spearfishing you need to vary weights on your weight belt.
Important - do not overloading your weight belt - it very dangerous.
You must have neutral buoyancy at yours spearfishing depth.
Yes got it. My fins float a lot. I feel my festa above my head level but I think weight gone to change that.

Thanks mate!

Reactions: Vitaly
Do you wear a wetsuit? They tend to make your legs float. Mine often do. I've not hear of anyone weighting their fins but I suppose you might be able to. Might be tricky, as they are wet and flexible. I think some divers wear ankle weights but it is not common.

Do you wear a wetsuit? They tend to make your legs float. Mine often do. I've not hear of anyone weighting their fins but I suppose you might be able to. Might be tricky, as they are wet and flexible. I think some divers wear ankle weights but it is not common.
I didn't use wetsuit yet as I'm in Caribbean now, but I realized even in Caribbean you need one of you want stay longer. I'm backing home next week (Brazil) I will buy all the equipment, full wetsuit, gun, gloves, fins, weight and I saw the same dive shop selling a dive flashlight and knife.

Do you have someone to dive with? That was probably the hardest for me to find.
Get a float with a dive flag and figure out how you're going to use it, i.e. using a float line to the float or anchor system, or something else.
Getting the appropriate wetsuit really mattered to me, particularly with my breath holds. I had a single piece with a zipper along the back. I was too cold in that suit with the water filtering in and out through the zipper area. Typically I see two piece wetsuits as being warmer, but find what works for you.

Do you have someone to dive with? That was probably the hardest for me to find.
Get a float with a dive flag and figure out how you're going to use it, i.e. using a float line to the float or anchor system, or something else.
Getting the appropriate wetsuit really mattered to me, particularly with my breath holds. I had a single piece with a zipper along the back. I was too cold in that suit with the water filtering in and out through the zipper area. Typically I see two piece wetsuits as being warmer, but find what works for you.
So far I'm diving alone mate. I was looking to do a freediving course as many people saying a lot about safety and how dangerous could be to be alone. I didn't understand not realize yet.
I'm a chilly person so I really feel the difference when using a wetsuit. I just looked one 3.5 mm two pieces wetsuit with hood.

So far I'm diving alone mate. I was looking to do a freediving course as many people saying a lot about safety and how dangerous could be to be alone. I didn't understand not realize yet.
I'm a chilly person so I really feel the difference when using a wetsuit. I just looked one 3.5 mm two pieces wetsuit with hood.
Taking the freediving course was helpful, even for me who's been in the water much of my life. You get to better understand the the body when diving and safety techniques on helping someone. Most of my partners have taken the class and it makes me feel better knowing they have more know how on that.
The class will also go over a good baseline on how to weight yourself with weights.

Right! I took an apnea course few years ago for surfing. I'm surfer and lifeguard too, but freediving is totally different. I remember apnea course was about hold your breath on big set waves coming in só we trained to hold 15-20sec underwater, up re breath and down again.. I'm excited about get this training.

Freediving and spearfishing so similar and so different. Freediver makes his dives with attention deconcentration under control of many insuring divers and freedivers. As I know freediver when training makes just one-two really deep (for him) dive after several training pre-dives. While spearfisher fully concentrated on the surrounding undewater world, searching or waiting "the fish of his dream", he is often dives alone and a long time.
By the way, freediving with a camera in this sense more similar to spearfishing (photo hunt).
But in any case, freediving courses is very useful for spearfisher. It is indisputable.

Freediving and spearfishing so similar and so different. Freediver makes his dives with attention deconcentration under control of many insuring divers and freedivers. As I know freediver when training makes just one-two really deep (for him) dive after several training pre-dives. While spearfisher fully concentrated on the surrounding undewater world, searching or waiting "the fish of his dream", he is often dives alone and a long time.
By the way, freediving with a camera in this sense more similar to spearfishing (photo hunt).
But in any case, freediving courses is very useful for spearfisher. It is indisputable.
I agree with you! I'm aware they are similar and different. Spearfishing holds breath could be just few seconds or also more, you are going underwater several times and concentrated within environment surrounding you. Freediving course will be beneficial totally.

Get yourself a wetsuit appropriate for your water temp, quick release weight belt, don all your gear add weight to your belt untill you get neutral bouyuncy ,( that is floating about chin deep) , a good start to getting you down to the fish keeping you comfortable and abrasion free from reef n rocks , have fun!.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT