• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help!! Ear ringing!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I was diving last week with little bit of allergy and I think my right eustachian tube was blocked.

Now I also have tinnitus and hearing loss of over 6500 Hz and little bit of vertigo.

I went to the ENT and he checked my eardrums and they were fine. He told me to come again after three weeks if it doesn’t get any better.

I think that I have Perilymph Fistula (American Hearing Research Foundation (AHRF) Perilymph Fistula)

Maybe you have this too?

I hope it heals. :crutch

Hello! I have the exact same thing as you. Been 3 months 2 ENTs later just been handed steroids and said to be patient. Oddly one ENT told me I could dive in 4 months?I would love to know how you recovered?

I am the latest victims that the ringing and tinnitus claimed. A week ago I did an intense free days free diving class. After the final session I noticed my right ear are mufffled and lost high frequency hearing above 8k. Also any female voice and piano sounds are out of tune. After 6 hours of sleeping the out of tune problem is gone, over the 6 days of rest my right ear also gain back so high frequency up to 13k. Unfortunately the ringing is still killing me makes me want to put a Bullet in my brain and end it all up. I went ENT the third day after the incident, doc said no rapture, tested all hearing are fine, doesn’t believe any any damage middle ear or inner ear. just told me to rest and give it time to heal.

I am into the 7 days, the ringing just getting louder (at least that’s what I feel)
Is any body here following up with their condition and improvement?

im a music teacher so I am completely depressed.

I am the latest victims that the ringing and tinnitus claimed. A week ago I did an intense free days free diving class. After the final session I noticed my right ear are mufffled and lost high frequency hearing above 8k. Also any female voice and piano sounds are out of tune. After 6 hours of sleeping the out of tune problem is gone, over the 6 days of rest my right ear also gain back so high frequency up to 13k. Unfortunately the ringing is still killing me makes me want to put a Bullet in my brain and end it all up. I went ENT the third day after the incident, doc said no rapture, tested all hearing are fine, doesn’t believe any any damage middle ear or inner ear. just told me to rest and give it time to heal.

I am into the 7 days, the ringing just getting louder (at least that’s what I feel)
Is any body here following up with their condition and improvement?

im a music teacher so I am completely depressed.
Hi John - I'm so sorry to hear this. I am going through a very similar issue as you are. This is what happened to me:
  1. I was snorkeling and dove down to about 10 feet, equalized, and felt water enter deeper than it ever had into my left ear. Surfaced, couldn't get the water out of my ear.
  2. Right off the bat, I had high frequency hearing loss but no tinnitus. 12 hours later, the tinnitus started and has not stopped 10 days later.
  3. Went on a 6 day prescription of Prednisone to assist with my return flights home from vacation.
  4. Went to my ENT 6 days from the injury to check on my ear drums. My hearing never returned and the tinnitus was extremely irritating. They said my ear drums are healthy and that everything was within normal hearing loss range. I asked for a second more intense hearing test and they confirmed significant hearing loss of high frequencies in my left ear.
I'm now living with insanely irritating tinnitus and it's been 12 days since the injury. Female voices sound auto-tuned and robotic, white noise or a sink running is painful to listen to, and I'm desperate for help. I scheduled a second opinion ENT visit with another doctor but that isn't for another 3 weeks.

Any updates on how you're feeling would be greatly appreciated.

Hi John - I'm so sorry to hear this. I am going through a very similar issue as you are. This is what happened to me:
  1. I was snorkeling and dove down to about 10 feet, equalized, and felt water enter deeper than it ever had into my left ear. Surfaced, couldn't get the water out of my ear.
  2. Right off the bat, I had high frequency hearing loss but no tinnitus. 12 hours later, the tinnitus started and has not stopped 10 days later.
  3. Went on a 6 day prescription of Prednisone to assist with my return flights home from vacation.
  4. Went to my ENT 6 days from the injury to check on my ear drums. My hearing never returned and the tinnitus was extremely irritating. They said my ear drums are healthy and that everything was within normal hearing loss range. I asked for a second more intense hearing test and they confirmed significant hearing loss of high frequencies in my left ear.
I'm now living with insanely irritating tinnitus and it's been 12 days since the injury. Female voices sound auto-tuned and robotic, white noise or a sink running is painful to listen to, and I'm desperate for help. I scheduled a second opinion ENT visit with another doctor but that isn't for another 3 weeks.

I am so sorry to hear another victim. Mine is 95% similar to your case and it has been two and half month for me. Unfortunately, it doesn’t come back. Maybe I am old, 38, already, the dead hair cell that responsible for high frequency won’t recover again. I have made contact to Samantha, the last victim in the thread before me, she has been into her 5th months and no improvement for her.

my doctor to me it will heal, in the way of, you get used to it. Brother, hang in there, I completely understand the feeling of hopelessness. I was even suicidal. But after all I accepted it. Now the tinnitus is about 50% volume, i pay attention to it around 10 times a day. And my eardrums are very sensitive to high frequency noise, they pop when I hear paper cracking or plastic cracking. Or even when when the metronome is loud, they jumps inside. And when I till up my head and lightly circle my cheek with my finger tips, the eardrums vibrates.

the robotic or autotune female sound should go away tho, I have had another time like 24 hours robotic sound due to outer ear infection, doctor gave me anti biotic ear drop it went away.

but, brother, hang in there, I have to say if you are old like me, it is what it is. If you need mental help or communication, email me anytime.

kuang01@gmail.com

This is scarry. 10 feet only. I hope you're recover

These problems arrived to me.I upped the provention Cleaner ears longer time on surface in between dives regulating ears nose clean throat mouth wash regular when in sea ! bacteria .I also carry a salt water solution cleaning my ears and nasal passage to prevent bacteria.I also noted that gengive to my gums arrived on occasion i upped my dental hygeine as i also had that irritating pain on the left of ear and upper left jaw bone.My connection was remembering visiting a family member in hospital i read a sign written Ear nose and throat department remembering that brought to me this method of prevention.Of coarse i suffer from titinus as i have lived alike many with noise polution.my friend suffers worse than me.the sea is organic life form harnest bacteria in the summer warm weather in theAdriatic sea

Last edited:
I use a product called Xlear as a preventative when I think water has gone up my nose. I make sure to open my eustachian tubes when I use it. I sometimes get fluid in my eustachian tubes - occasionally even without infection, and this can cause a temporary loss of high frequencies. I can hear it in there and it's easy to mistake it for being in the outer ear. It drains eventually. Tinnitus is a bitch - but one does acclimate. Also - be sure you equalize very frequently on the way down - like every meter - pretty much continuously.

I has been more than a year, and no, I am still having the big ringing in my ears, but I got used to it; sometimes I don’t even notice I’m in whole 24 hours, but it’s there, forever, if I pick it up, I can clearly hear it. However, I am diving deeper ever since.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT