• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help for a greenhorn

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

groats

pelogic thinker
May 1, 2003
Hi all there!
I just started on freediving last week and I`m really blown away, but I`ll need your help in matters of equipment, especially the fins. I`m mainly thinking of cressi gara 2000HF, 3000 or sporasub because I heard they are all good and do not cost too much dough. I`m a beginner to apnea, but have been a competition swimmer for 7 years, so I know how to move in water and I`m in shape. Sporasub seems to fit my needs, but shall I go for hard or soft? I don`t want to go for anything more expensive than those three because prices jump when it comes to carbon fins, not really what I intend to buy as a first pair...

Thanks for any help!

Consider Waterway bifins. Laminar just got some. Most say they are better than carbon, and cost less than plastic.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Waterways are sweet

The fiber fins are really sweet . I had a chance to try some #4s. They are far better than my Cressis.

They are not terribly expensive, but they're not all that cheap either. The blades are about $100 US and then you need to buy footpockets and assemble the fins yourself, so you're looking at about $150 US and some labor.

I am hoping to be parted frmo about 150 of my dollars and some of my labor soon ;)

You can also get waterway bifins with waterway footpockets, no labor, less cost.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Originally posted by efattah
You can also get waterway bifins with waterway footpockets, no labor, less cost.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

Open heel though -- I didn't like them.

Open heel--I like 'em.

But I'm used to monofin freediving and having to keep the fin stable with foot control. Traditional bi-fin footpockets are more forgiving, but they are heavier and create more drag.

Cheers,

Pete
Vancouver, BC

Well, thanks lads!

I think I will have to test a pair of waterway fins, though actually I tend to go for sporasub because of their replaceable blades so i don`t have to buy completely new ones if they`re not 100% perfect...

Anyone tried spora`s yet?

Hey Buddy....

another newbie here. I just ordered the Sporasubs and a rubber weight belt. I should have them next week and I can give a report then.

I'll be meeting my "mentor" at a local pool so we can get my bouyancy set and start work on statics and dynamics.

Dive safe
Brock

Last edited:
Sporasub Dessaults

Hey Groats and Okie,

I've bought a pair of sporas a few months ago primarily because after trying Jon's spora pockets, I had to get a pair. My Gara's don't fit well when I have a thick sock on because the pocket is too narrow. Since I was already paying to ship the pockets, I figured...for the price, I couldn't help but pick up a couple sets of the plastic blades. I was stunned at how much I got for the buck. No they aren't as smooth as carbon, but they are very smooth for plastic. And considering they cost 90+% less than carbon blades, and can take as much beating as you can dish out, they are an excellent beginner/spearfishing fin.

I bought the short black blades and the long black blades. You can read my brief review at the shop.

http://www.scubastore.com/shop.asp?id_familia=3&id_subfamilia=18

Ted

Also a newbie...

I bought my Sporasub H Dessault fins here at the DB shop, and I'm very pleased with them. Sure the blades are plastic, but they'll get you where you want to go. They are reasonably priced too. I'd recommend them.:)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT