• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help - I need some "Riffe" advice.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Riffe for Sale

I would advise you to stick w/ 2 bands, and a flopper set-up. Keep it simple. The shaft accuracy, speed, and penetration are better. I have taken fish w/ that same set-up on my c-2 that were in the 50lb range w/ ease.
In fact, I am getting rid of my C-2 to upgrade if anyone is interested. Comes with 3 new 9/16" x 20 bands, plus 2 extra 1/2" x 20 bands. 3 shafts-9/32" X 50" flopper(single wrap 400# mono), 9/32" X 48" (single wrap 400# mono)threaded, and a 5/16" X 50" flopper(double wrap 400# mono),. Riffe muzzle reinforcement, Riffe Breakaway rig, and Riffe Teak Oil. If anyone is interested let me know.

Matt

Hell, if all you're shooting is trash fish and the occasional bluegill/crappie :yack get the threaded shaft and add a five prong tip- it'll give you the edge in those low viz / snap shots.

A Hawaiian is a bit swifter (the shaft, ladies!, not the divers :hmm ) due to the lower weight and all, but by the time you thread it back out of a fish the size of your foot, you've gotta admit that there's not a whole helluva lot left anyway. It'll be faster but you'd have to be in a pretty closed environment to notice it.

Shooting blugill from 12 feet, eh? :hmm

sven

Hey Iya ; nice fish :D
We get the golden kingies gnathodon speciosus at home too , have speared them up to 12 kg. I think it's the prettiest member of the family , they taste pretty good too .
My favourite eating kingie is the bluefin caranx melampygus ,havent got one over six kilo's yet .
Hurry up with the photo's ... ;)

Sven,

I have taken shots at white bass and crappie (with my JBL) from 12 feet, and rarely bagged the target. These fish hardly ever come to within 6 feet of even a motionless diver. The shockline that came with my gun is 6 feet long (standard), so I got a 12 foot shockline to make my gun the effective range that JBL claimed. Well now we get to the part where I realize I want a better gun. I would line up these "long" shots, and the fish would have time to react. My spear was not fast enough or did not penetrate far enough; and the "warning" the metal o-ring on the shockline was giving them wasn't helping either. I watched fish after fish dodge or bounce off my spear :head (and yes, it was a sharp point :duh). This is what I want the MTO to do......get me those fish. White bass can reach 18 inches, perch 12-14 inches, and a nice crappie is 12-15 inches, so a hawaiian shaft won't demolish them. I think that I will go with that shaft if it is the swiftest.

My game isn't usually rough fish. I mainly hunt crappie and perch....and if an asian carp decides to cross my path, he will be made to be feed for the snappin turtles and the juvenile fishes. Carp are invasive and unwelcome in Wisconsin waters. Their eating habits can turn an underwater forest into a sand blanket. The DNR prefers that if fisherman catch these fish, they do not return them to the water......so I help out where I can . Once they are midsized (15 inches or so) they outgrow all of their predators. Before long they become 30 pound lawnmowers. I don't eat them because I don't know how to prepare em. The flesh is soft and not fit for broiling or frying. You need to smoke em to make them edible. I've had smoked carp and it's quite good, but like I said....don't know how to do it myself.

Keep the advice coming if you have it. I do appreciate the words. But what's with the yack face by "bluegill" and "crappie" :confused: ? They are some of the best eatin fish around :p . Little bit of butter in the pan.....add some spices....vwalla. Grab a beer, plate of fish, turn on the game...nothing better :friday. I know we don't have mahi and snapper in the midwest, but cut us a break...we're doing the best with the hand we've been dealt :waterwork.

Hahahaha.

Cyprinus carpio

Last edited:
I have been diving on and off for quite a few years now and started out with a mild steel timber frame 1/4" shaft lump of wood. I have tried a few of the tubular guns available lately and feel they all lack quality and workmanship that I have come to expect from most things I now purchase.
I was on the verge of buying a Rife to nail some of the Palagic fish we get down here from time to time, when I was diving with a new dive buddy on the local dive shop boat. He produced a gun that was hand made with laminated timber and extreemely well balanced when in the water. The gun was magic to shoot with, silent, and extreemely accurate. The mecks are of the best quality and when I inquired I was meet with " do you get up this way? If so, come up and try a gun before you buy." The gun is known as a KES. The maker is Peter Kesby a cabinet maker by trade. Peter is one of the nicest persons I have met and takes pride in his work. He has spent a lot of time researching his guns and has some well known pro divers using his gear. All are custom made and worth looking up on his web site. www.kesby.com.au :) All the best in your diving and hope you find a gun that suits you.
Aussie :)

Unirdna: You should be able to get a smoker from your local camping store. Here in Oz they are readily available and the portable smoker is an american idea so..

Then let those invaders beware!

Aussie Freediver: By tubular I assume you mean Euro guns? Try a RobAllen and be astounded! Rabitech also makes good guns. Check out the Outboard Doctor in Undanderra and ask for Morris. Tell him Sascha sent you:D

If you haven't already: Visit www.spearfishing.com.au and check out the forum there. New members always appreciated! :)

Hey Sascha,
Have been diving with Morris for some time now when he was at the old shop. And have my pic from New Zealand on his wall, say hello from Wayne next time you see him. Small world after all. Will get down to the Gong for a dive one day if I ever get the time. Always working away, so I don't get much time to dive lately :(
Rob Allen yeah way to go :) Cut my old gun down to use for reefing so maybe in the future some time.
Catchya,
Wayne

Uncle Sven,
Here are the snappers photo. Left bottom snapper has a very obvious red dark colour in the water when alive. The top right looks mild red, almost pink when alive. The bottom right, looks more white than red and it has a small black dot near the tail when alive. The first one mentioned is the best eating according to many and when you make spicy curry head fish ( like Thai style ), this is best.:p

Abri,
Bluefin trevaly here don't grow more than 6kg too, more often I see them being 2-3kg. I eat all the trevalies. When cook right, they are awsome. The Aussie fish book mentioned that the golden trevaly can grow to 30kg.........Holy Shit !!

Gee.........Thanks Chief Anderson, u make the picture smaller and make it brighter.......Gracias bro....Gracias:eek:

I can play with the most advanced MARPA radar when it come to computers I am.....:duh

Now let me treat you and everyone to dinner.

Find attach the snappers done up...Spicy,Sweet ..a bit Sour. Abri in Thailand will call it Tong Yam Soup or something....:p :p
Lick the screen boys....:D :D

YEP this is the same snapper on the top photo becoming dinner. Everytime I hunt, the next day or so, I gather diver friends, non hunters mainly to enjoy the freshest fish my Riffe can "buy".....

Fuzz,

Sometime we do Shashimi on our trevalies too. We get Japanese restaurant to do it for a fee. Next time I will take photo of the shashimi....:p :p. Somehow I also enjoy taking photo of the fishes being dinner. So I get memories of "Before and After."

Uni / Ted,
That carp looks like what we call Gold Fish (literal translation), fresh water. The only cooking style I seen popular is to cook it super deep fried whereby all the bones too become edible. I actualy like the oil tummy of this fish but in my area they cultivate this species cause some restaurant actualy sell them and kind of popular for non coastal cities. However there is this mud kind of taste on their fats. I am assuming ur carp is the same as the one in my country.

Cyprinus carpio

Yeah Iya,

I'm sure that it is the same species since they came from your neck of the woods. Indonesia - Home of the biggest damn minnows on earth :D. Good looking dishes you posted. Making me hungry.

By the way, which of your spears / spearheads wound up being your favorite from the hunt? I noticed from your past posts that you tested a whole myriad of stabbers. Also, did you opt for the amber bands (instead of the standard black bands) on purpose, or is that just what they sent you? Just curious if there are pros and cons to the two different kinds of bands, or if the difference is strictly cosmetic.

Oh yeah, one more question. What is the starndard length for the shockline that came with the MT#0? Did you have to order a longer one?

Ted

Ted,

How did the hell USA import such fish from us...:D :D

I have never hunt with the 7mm (9/32") Hawaiian shaft for the MT0. I find it too lightweight. As you know I done testing with the plywood and I don't like the result. I did not intend buying this MT0 for smal fish anyway. What I had in mind is to get the smallest gun and make it as powerful as my Riffe Standard #2, this was the original plan. As I said the heavy current infested wreck was the motivator, the trevallies actualy. I don't do holes with the MT0, I have a 85cm Cyrano pneumatic for holes. So I will never use the 9/32" Hawaiian shaft.

My ballistic result with the overly long 36" x 3/8" is the best result. I need to remind you that the original 3/8" shaft is actualy 32" not 36". Shipment by mistake but it proved deadly. This long shaft also allows long overhang and thus an Ice Pick is possible to use. At 3/8" and so short at 36", it is super stiff.

My spearhead testing of the MT0 on the fishes been always the large spearhead, since my shafts are 24" threaded for the 5/16 and 3/8. Since I kind of starting to like pencil point Hawaiian shaft, this is why I am modifying my 3/8" to taper to 9/32" for some part of the front. Will show you when it is ready. I want 3/8"
shaft for its momentum and I want the end tip of 9/32 for penetration. I do not know if the balance or accuracy in flight will work out well but large spearhead is not that light and low profile too. If I don't experiment, I will never learn how far I can push the modification. :eek:

In summary, since my MT0 can use up to 5 x 9/16 bands, I get maximum ballistic quality with 3/8" shaft. I am not trying to make it look like a super magnum guns by using 5 bands, I am just maximizing its potential. While people are going longer, I want to go shorter. The basic calculation will be the same, how fast can u launch out what mass of a shaft. Since the MT0 has only like 15" of useful rubber travel/propulsion, 5 rubbers is not that plenty.

I buy amber rubbers because I believe light colors absorb less UV and might less longer if I stash it anyhow on the open boat. Riffe rubbers, may it be black or amber is the same spec. Metal Tech comes with black ones cause the whole gun is black, thus it looks "cool" when the rubber is black...my assumption.

The original two wraps is too short for me since 3 rubbers is my minimum. On my 5/16", I use 3 wraps and I still get the gun pulled away by the shaft so strongly at 4 rubbers. On 3/8" shaft I use 4 wraps and at 5 rubbers, the gun still get robbed by the shaft. I did test 5 wraps but, messy to re-do underwater. At 4 wraps of shooting line and 3/8" shaft, I get power like my Standard #2 but being pin point accurate is not easy, cause the recoil is significant (5 rubbers).

I do not use mono and I do not believe in mono being more accurate, my test have proved it...at least for me. The 270 lbs Riffe coated SS cable is so small in diameter and soft, it acts like a 250 lbs mono.

My Standard#2 been using 500 lbs coated SS cable, also from Riffe and it is very accurate. Many people forgot the difference between soft cable and hard cable, hard one maybe accuracy destructing. Soft cable cost more money cause the strands are fine and plenty. I am a scuba diver and do not use reel or float. When fighting a big fish, I am the float. If I am desperate, I just wrap my ss cable around a rock or wreck part and let the fish pull all its might, you can't do that with mono. I tried 1000 lbs Kevlar and it is a MESS to do underwater.

Enjoy............:D

IYA

Reactions: unirdna
Oh , no ... I hope we're not getting into this again ...:head
Shane , different regulations apply in different places .
Although at first glance it MIGHT seem unfair , bear in mind that hunting on scuba present a whole new set of challenges . Most spearo's who may use scuba only use it in very specific circumstances and are as much a part of the "fellowship of the fish " as those who spear exclusively on apnea .
It's the love of the hunt that keeps us together . so each to his own , I guess ...:D

Yeah Abri,
Ask yourself why there are no more 200 kg stone bass, or other large grouper left anywhere.

easy guys, we've already been through this. :naughty

if you really want to get into it again, bring it up in the other thread, not this one.

anderson

Its Ok Shane........... I don't mind. Here is legal to use tanks and freediving is not common at all. I only know 3 guys in my city and one of them is Eric Young from the forum. He doesn't shoot. I talked to him today and he can't go. Just had a back surgery and he will be out of action for at least another month....poor guy.
This is why I am hanging around DB so nicely to absorb the freediving learning....:D :D

Besides, this wreck where I post the fishes photo .......no way u can freedive. Maybe 5% of the year but you must be a superb freediver and have a boat standing by with a captain at all times.

I am setting to go again with one superb 100 footer freediver and he too wants to go down on tanks. Mainly he wants to see the wreck in full and at 15 feet viz and 2+ knots, even Abri and Uncle Sven will faint......u OK Abri and uncle :D :D

Don't worry about me shooting protected species, I'm one of the "greenest" spearo in my city..... There is only one place worth freediving from my city and it is 125 miles away and lots of money involved.

If one day u get dragged by a 60 lbs tuna ( and land it ) on scuba tank with no float and reel, you will think different..... he he he...peace my friend.....peace.:eek:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT