• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Question Help! I need to find an online freediving course, can't find ANY instructors in my area in Ireland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

up_there_the_last

Jul 18, 2020
Hi!
I am really looking forward to this season as I spent last year discovering diving alone in a surf wetsuit, which isn't good. I love it so will be buying some more appropriate gear and hopefully become a better spearfisher.
I would love an instructor but can't seem to find one in my area of West Cork, Ireland. Would you think the best thing to do is seek out an online course before I get going? I have just been figuring it out as I go along so far, but think it might be a good idea to get proper training or look to a course. Anybody have any online courses to reccomend before I go diving again? I would love to learn about breathing and equalisation, mental prep etc
Thanks!
Max

Hi,
maybe reading the AIDA Freediving Manual 2 helps. This will give you a basic theoretical understanding and preparation for a real course in the future. For a safer shallow/beginner spearfishing it will help you to. AIDA Manual 3 is also available for free in the net, google it.
These are top notch course materials for the AIDA Freediving school classes. But you will miss a real instructor for deeper understanding, and of course the practice part. Never train allone without a skilled trainer.

Hi,
maybe reading the AIDA Freediving Manual 2 helps. This will give you a basic theoretical understanding and preparation for a real course in the future. For a safer shallow/beginner spearfishing it will help you to. AIDA Manual 3 is also available for free in the net, google it.
These are top notch course materials for the AIDA Freediving school classes. But you will miss a real instructor for deeper understanding, and of course the practice part. Never train allone without a skilled trainer.

Thanks for this, I will get stuck in to it pronto! Much obliged!
Max

Hi Max, I can't help you with contacts, but I'm also based in county Cork and keen to get into freediving this year, and maybe spearfishing too? I think freediving generally is my first port of call. But, if you know of any other folks around about, it would be great to connect with other people and start some sort of community round these parts, or join with others if there are folks doing it already? I'm in Cork city, so probably far enough away from you, but hopefully the restrictions will be lifted bit by bit and at some point the county will be open again!
Thanks
Hannah

Hi Max, I can't help you with contacts, but I'm also based in county Cork and keen to get into freediving this year, and maybe spearfishing too? I think freediving generally is my first port of call. But, if you know of any other folks around about, it would be great to connect with other people and start some sort of community round these parts, or join with others if there are folks doing it already? I'm in Cork city, so probably far enough away from you, but hopefully the restrictions will be lifted bit by bit and at some point the county will be open again!
Thanks
Hannah
Hi Hannah!
That's great news. A community of divers/spearfishers around here this summer would be the dream. I'm a beginner, just getting my gear together in readiness for when the spider crabs show up in april/may. When restricitons have lifted we should try a few dives, I've seen some potentially incredible spots around west cork that are just begging to be explored! I'll keep an ear out for any others, I think there's someone from Kerry who's up for a trip down too. If you want to contact me directly i'm @uptherethelast on instagram, and am based in Castletownshend.
Great! Let's be in touch!
Max

Hi Max,
It’s great to hear. I regularly freedive in Cork area. I’m experienced and could help you to get started. Shoot me an email at davidmendezmart at hotmail dot com.
All the best,
David

I'm getting back into freediving after years away, and looking at refreshing my certification and training (FII original). I am seriously considering the Molchanovs movement:

There is a fair amount of (free) online training, as well as a growing number of instructors.

Hi all, there is a whatsapp group for free divers in Cork, message me on whatsapp if you want me to add you +353 89 457 4335 :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT