• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

help! I'm loosing my voice!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Memo

Sep 1, 2003
Hi,
I like spearfishing but do static training regularly and I have a problem! Whenever I warm up and start doing some max statics, my voice went off! I could speak with a very thin and squeeky voice... I think I'm doing something wrong. Do you have any ideas? if so please help me..

oh I forgot to say that I recover my voice after a few minutes of funny talking :(

Memo,
If your voice recovers in a few minutes, you must be all right. Anyone who doesn’t breath for minutes at a time is going to have a hard time talking while they catch their breath. Talking is isn’t necessary for a while. Well unless the phone rings while you’re in the middle of it. When I have had to answer the phone because it interrupted me during or right after a static, my voice is high and squeaky too. I hate it when they say, I don’t mean to bother you, but …! If they only knew what a bother they are!:vangry
Jody

Hi Memo,

I get the same thing, seems to be associated with taking a big breath and holding it. It must put pressure on the vocal cords Doesn't happen when diving. I don't think it does any harm.

Maybe start looking for a job as a voice-over for a cartoon movie producer?

:D now I'm a bit relaxed. This voice issue really confused me last night as my father had a real fun all night long :D !

thank you for all your help

Memo,

I get a really horse and raspy voice after dry statics, similar to when I first wake up, but I don't seem to get it in the water. As cdavis said I think its the pressure from holding the breath which is greater dry than wet usually. When diving, I allow air into my mouth and do the holding with my mouth and soft pallete vs. holding all the air in my lungs (with epiglotis) during static. Maybe it has something to do with the pressure on the epiglotis? I suppose that is the same vicinity as the vocal cords. But like everyone else it seems to go away quickly enough afterwards!

You say your father made fun of you all night? How long does this persist for you? For me its only a couple minutes, maybe 5 at the most. I'm certian its no problem though!

Cheers!
Aaron

Well, I have trained about 2 hours and of course he cought me squeeking several times in that period! :D

I get a raspy voice as well, it think its the pressure. It can take up to maybe 30min for it to become totally normal again.

Hello Memo,
I never heard about any voice alteration after static training ,I do, not regularly, some static training,but it never happened to me.
It maybe due to, if you have an upper respiratory tract infection,your vocal cords may be inflamed,and after dry exposure of air directly ,on the sessions of deep brathing or hyper or normal ventilating.It's just a theory,maybe.
By the way,whats your PB?

Memo,
You have been loose your voice but you can write I think,
Aydýn

hi

Im sorry guy - but this topic make laugh--

nasilin Memo -this is for real-?--are you packing a lot when doing your maxima estatic? -- did you go to the doctor? how long are you beeing with that problem?

well mi amigo you will be ok - but remember something-- there is a balance and everything we do -- nunca te extralimites--
nuestro cuerpo esta capacitado para un cierto nivel--

saludos
Daniel

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT