• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

help me convince them...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

pyro

Apr 13, 2004
right, so about a couple of months ago i joined the scuba team of my university, i really like it, breathing underwater is something new to me, but it seems that most people there are afraid of apnea, they where even amazed by the fact that i could dive 20meters, and from what i can tell, they seem to be afraid of me free diving when we get to go out to the open water.

now in the theoritical lessons, they urge them not to hyperventilate, and i guess its my bad that i actually do hv, or well used to, and that i might have scared them a bit.

in any way, when you scuba, you depend on a couple of dozen, very high pressurised, litle things, and i wonder, how could someone think that freediving is more dangerous that scuba, taking for a fact that you dont hyperventilate.

on the other hand the captain is responsible for everyone, so i guess he doesnt like the idea of me going down with no equipment whatsoever. so what can i do to show them that its not dangerous?

i would really hate it to go out to the water and not dive, i mean, what the hell, its just wrong:(

Try to tell them this: Any good scuba diver takes the most possible effort to know every square inch of his or her equipment, understanding its limitations and its possibilities. Tell the scuba divers that the good freediver is doing something similar, in stead of knowing your technical equipment to perfection, you know your own body to perfection. Your body is your equipment.

I've used that a couple of times to scuba people, so far it has worked ok. And it's not even BS.

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

Well, since the captain has to take responsibility to all that it's understandable why he'll be suspicious of new things, just go soft on him. ;)
The fact that you can't freedive after scuba might also deter them.
What's a scuba team anyway?

More stuff about freediving:
Freediving is natural, not equipment dependent.
If something goes wrong under there, you do what naturally seens right: go up. In scuba you have to solve you're problem down there.
Freediving is a skill which is older than man kind (many mamals have traces of it - the MDR). Freediving was practiced in prehistory. Many cultures developed it before they even developed writing.
Becomming a freediver makes you more efficient underwater - better fin technicque and hydrodynamics evolve fast 'coz you have to be air-efficient. Result of that: it takes you longer to finish your air-tank.
You have a dynamic freedom they don't have... finning up and down, taking currents and gliding over walls and obsitcles without compensating bouyancy or keeping a dive profile...
There's plenty more...

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT