• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help me decide on a new gun: lost cayman90

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
You rate the aluminium Cayman HF above the Cayman Carbon. What makes it better?
... the loading support is better on the HF since one can add the rubber butt...
Are you saying that you add a rubber pad to the the loading butt? Is this an Omer accessory or did you make one? I cut a piece of rubber from an old flip-flop/thong sole to fit snuggly in the back on one of my Omer XXVs (there is a distinct lip which looks like it might be intended to hold a pad - but equally might be intended to bite into your wetsuit/wetsuit's loading pad). But after a quick test I decided to upgrade the straps on my "supplementary loading pad" (an old flip-flop sole that straps to my chest under the wetsuit) instead.

X the butt support is actually an omer accessory.

OMER Loading Rubber Butt, Loading Butts - ScubasWorld

What I can I say, I am brazilian I like nice butts !

DD

the noise level is a real issue when fishing for snook, normally in murky water, guns 90 or smaller.

Would be great to hear some feed back on the cayman carbon I almost bought one.

Last edited:
Sorry guys but the truth hurts sometimes1 :)

the shape of the HF is much better than on the standard carbon barrel Cayman, it provides greater regidity and much better tracking and less muzzle recoil.

the only advantages really of a carbon barrel were regidity and as some would say the lack of noise, but the HF barrel is actually structurally stiffer so no advantage there and noise well for me doesnt mean much but to some it is very important. i guess the vinyl tape are maybe some kind of spray on coating on the track would work to reduce noise.

dont get me wrong the carbon is nice, i've alway been a carbon nut until i started playing with cuttlebone shaped barrels and particularly the HF barrel which almost makes carbon redundant.

Light weight is only important up to a certain extent and then the extra weight will actually improve the shot by reducing recoil. as long as the gun is neutral in water the weight makes little difference its more the barrel shape and resistance against the water during tracking that is important.

my opinion anyway.

as you know i have both guns and can honestly say i much prefer the HF.

the only differnce is the barrel and the spear (easily changed) but the carbon comes with the standard OMER spear not the America tabbed shaft which is much nicer.

DD

DD

Thanks, what you mention match what I had in mind about the carbon barrel, but since I don't own that gun, I never had to try it, added that one needs to be more carefull with a carbon barrel. I need to get my self some vinyl tape, but I would have to say the HH muzzle plus a rope wishbone did reduce the noise on my HF in Brazil.

hey all

hey all,
hey my uncle goes spear fishing i would like to get in to it i need to get some cheap stuff for it if any one is selling any things cheap good first gun please contact me at calthomo@yahoo.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Strangelove you mention that the HammerHead muzzle made your gun quiet? curious as to how that works, short of a muzzle having something dor the spear to hit e.g. metal bridge plate are metal spear retainer (alla Beuchat marlin) i would not have thought there would have been a noticable difference between the 2 muzzles. the Dyneema bridle i agree with 100% it is a modification i do pretty much on every gun i own.

Did run the HF110 for a long while with standard bridle just to prove a point to some divers here in australia that you dont HAVE to have dyneema for a gun to work well. but thats another story.

i've never seen those rubber loading pad covers i wonder if they are a factory OMER product or something mae for the US market only, has we dont have access to them here and they arent in the 2009 catalogue or the 2009 accessory catalogue? maybe Mark L can chime in here and help us out?

DD

My HF 90 came with the rubber cover on the loading pad. My 55cm Cayman did not come with them. I have not looked at the price list to see if they are in there this year, they never were in the Cat I don't think, but they were in the price list we got I think. I have seen them on sites too I think.

The Hammerhead muzzle helps a little with sound because it raises the bands up. So as the shaft leaves it is not pulling down the tail of the shaft into the barrel as much. (At least that is what I found)

Reactions: strangelove
The Hammerhead muzzle helps a little with sound because it raises the bands up. So as the shaft leaves it is not pulling down the tail of the shaft into the barrel as much. (At least that is what I found)

Yes indeed, thank you Chris !
In fact I've swap to the HH muzzle on Chris recommendation, IMO it does reduce the noise (still far from a quite gun), I've also added a rope wishbone. But I have not used my 110 HF in 7 months now, my little baby is in Brazil and I am here in Alaska.

Since HH have raise their prices from 39 usd a muzzle to 55 usd, that was very annoying, I am keeping the omer/cayman muzzle.

My first rubber butt I've from Mark (I guest I never forgot my first rubber butt), but Jimdoe (member of this forum), who is awesome, have them, I am sure he will ship to Australia. Maybe the reason you don't have it there is Australians only like small butts ! rofl

But make sure to glue them, I've lost two already.

Here is also a store, but Jim is great to deal with, best prices in US !

OMER Loading Rubber Butt, Loading Butts - ScubasWorld

View attachment 25414

View attachment 25415

Last edited:
Reactions: ILDiver
Re: hey all

I've heard there's a Cayman 90 floating somewhere off the coast of Chile rofl
That's for free if you can grabb it! rofl

Jokes aside, check our Deperblue shop: good prices there: FreeDiving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing & Technical Diving Articles and News - DeeperBlue.com

hahah I missed that Spago!!

I had even dreamed up a scheme to get the gun back.

This was to be the deal: go out with my fisherman buddy to the area (I know where it is) and borrow his Hooka equip till I find it. In order to pay him back for the fuel HE KEEPS THE GUN. At leaset it would not be lost to Neptune, and he is quite a poor chap that could make good use of it. BUT the oceans have been ENORMOUS recently 5 to 6M swells, HUGE and POUNDING. The gun won't be where I dropped it anymore. Neptune 1, inept spearo 0.roflrofl

Thanks strange love, but the interest in the Rubber butt (i like round butts too hahaha) is more for the entire australian market rather than just myself, it would be a good product for our market. and seeing as i work in the industry it is in my best interest to get them to australia as well.

DD

Great

nice butts are something for the good of men kind !

More I use my Cayman HFII more I like it, I think it is my favority of all three HF, One and HF2

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT