• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

help me design a reel

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I dont think it would well as a whip - different stiffness in different planes, or does it not really matter how well it works?

Well, functionality is desired, but the actual engineering of the weapon is the key to this challenge. As long as it changes forms from a sword -like object to a whip - like object, it isn't critical that it be sturdy enough to stay in sword shape for more than a light blow, nor that the whip is easily usable. Both of those factors are desired, but just 'icing on the cake' as it were, as long as it visibly functions.

Actually, I believe I just caught where you were going, and I think your mental image is probably more readily doable than mine - a rapier-like sword (made primarily for thrusting) with a cross-section of a + or an X, instead of a flat-bladed sword; which would allow the whip to flex equally along all 4 axes instead of two separate levels of flexion.

I may start working along those lines instead of the way I had been going - I know noone else has been thus far - we were all envisioning typical longswords or shortswords, not rapiers or foils.

Griff,
I googled a bit but could not find a design drawing of the reel I was looking for. Maybe someone can help. I could kick myself because I should have obtained one of these. You never know. Back in the day, Wally Potts designed a plastic reel made out of PVC pipe. It could be scaled up or down but the one that I saw held about 500 feet of 1/8 inch line. Every time I visited he wanted to show me the reel and talk about his ideas. My memory is shorter than it should be. I know of a couple of guys who bought them but have lost touch. The coolest reel was Hector Escalante's titanium reel. I have one in my possession. It was copied from the original and is a trigger type like the old Riffe aluminum reel.The problem with this reel is that the drag is fixed and is not the most satisfactory arrangement if one needs a drag reel. Both would be simple to make but don't attempt using titanium metal. It has to be welded in a special box with nitrogen atmosphere. Hector's reel holds about 200 feet of line. The Riffe aluminum holds about 100 feet. I could take apart one of the Riffes and take pictures. I have several laying around. However, you seem to be familiar with the continuous bearing axle design already. I believe it uses a teflon sleeve for the bearing. It has a simple knurled knob and washer to adjust drag.

Last edited:
I have an old salmon reel that has a nice yet simple design - basically it has one half which attaches to the rod/gun and is a flat round plat with a spindle.

The second half attaches to it and is the reel - this is held on the spindle with a friction nut.

It also has a wide thick wire gate for the line to play through on the first half.

It is simple yet easy to use and I think with the set up you have would be nice to make - let me know if you want schematics / tech drawing.

Ed / portinfer

Snapper reel

At the time that I visited Jack Prodanovich in 1973 he was experimenting with a fishing reel made in Australia. It was very large and made of a plastic spool set in a metal bracket with metal (brass) drag, etc. It was called a 'snapper reel' (I think). At the same time he was working on his other new idea, monofilament shooting line. I tested one of the BIG, HEAVY snapper reels. I concluded that they were not ideal for spearfishing. I have to say that they worked fairly well but were so heavy that my big, mahogany, Potts gun would sink.

Jack was 65 and looked very fit and lean. He had just returned from a workout on a bicycle. He offered Wes and I some whiskey but wouldn't drink any himself.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT