• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help me, I'm lost!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

woodelfkeeper

Nov 22, 2002
I'm new to both this site and the sport, and being that Missouri has few good places to dive that are within my reach... I'm afraid to say I'm in over my head (no pun intended). Any tips that you could give me... well I'd be thankful to say the least. St. Louis doesn't seem to have any organized free diving groups that I can find, so I've been on my own up until now, and reaching 2 minutes is still a struggle... so please help me figure out what I'm doind wrong!

Originally posted by woodelfkeeper
I'm afraid to say I'm in over my head so I've been on my own up until now, ... so please help me figure out what I'm doind wrong!

Hi wood!

You're doing the right thing in asking for help, and going about it the wrong way, that is, by yourself. Grab the phone book, look up the diving shops in your nearest locale and ask them for the number of the local club. There will be at least a couple. There are clubs in Utah ferchrisakes! :duh

Hook up with the locals and start picking their brains, going to the events and have fun. With partners of at least your skill level and some relastic goals, you'll be stylin soon.

Then the work starts.

sven

There are a lot of things you can learn, before the techniques I would recommend the basic in Physiology so you get a clue of what you are doing. Remember like scuba freediving is a dangerous sport and at the same time the most amazing experience (as far as I am concerned) Here is a headstart on physiology and physics: http://library.thinkquest.org/28170/45.html#top
There you will find the basics you need to know about yourself, your body and most of all the body of water that surrounds you (the good ole mama Gaya :).
Then well try to buddy up with more experienced freediver when you go on vacation for exemple... (there are still cheaptickets to Florida sometimes!!)
But most of all don't push it especially if you are not sure of what you are doing ...;) and stay away from weight belt untill you get confortable enough...
Take care,

niko

Thanks, guys. I feel like I at least have a fair start now, so I guess I'll have to see what happens! Although I know that classes here are out of my range, I think I've found some people who know what they are doing and can help me get started... I'll keep you posted!:)

Woodelfkeeper, go to the "Static Challenge" thread in "Training", post your numbers, and ask questions....there will be lots of talk about breathe-up techniques there!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT