• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help me pick a monofin from specialfins.com

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Seal

Deepsy
Apr 29, 2003
Ok here's the deal I am a student but i can afford any model on the site even the carbon. (but just barely)

But since I am new to monofin it might not be the best choice yet. I always monokick with my normal Carbon fins so should I choose "Soft" or "Hard" since I am used to the stiffness of the carbon fins.
I think the ones on www.specialfins.com look good

What fin would you pick if you where serius about getting better at dynamic.

Thanks for any help or discussion on the matter.:p

Right never mind I guess, the site recommends the "Dolphin" for dynamic. It is also is the cheapest.

Most of the best dynamic monofin swimmers in the world don't use specialfins.....you see more waterway and other similar designs instead. Having bought and used both I find the waterway heaps better but if out diving for fun and not doing anything serious the specialfins monos sure are comfortable. In my humble opinion you trade performance for comfort so the question is really which is most important to you.

Martin Stepanek uses a Monofin Coloured (Blue) model from Specialfins.
Becauce I own the same Monofin I tell you that the power off this monofin is in constant. This Monofin is really great for freediving
in open water but if you whant a monofin for dynamic and pooltraining the Dophin model is better.
Dont forget that Omer footpockets are very nice but also very heavy.
For me the Freediving Monofin Coloured (Blue) is a killer.I like it a lot but I dont do mutch dynamic. I will use it most in open sea.

Speek with Juri from Specialfins. He will help you with your choice

As a student you probably want to make the right choice the first time. I was sure that specialfins/sebak were the answer for me and bought one of the blue ones only to find it wasn't really what I wanted(still might be perfect for you). I then made 2 myself and then bought a waterway fin which *for me* is the best of them. It has cost me a lot to get to the fin that finally suits me and I'm hoping that sharing this with you will avoid you going through the same $$ outlay. If you can, get to a pool where people are using a variety of fins and beg them to try out as many as you can before committing to buying anything. Have a look on the other threads for performance information as there is quite a bit around the performance of specialfins/sebak vs the others.

Hope that helps

Andy

That helps alot. Because I was ready to shed all my money on a fin in desparation. But....Im going to start training in the club where Stig Severinsen(the guy who made 204m in dynamic) is training.

So I would probably be able to try one of the other club members fins. Also after seeing that guy make 209m in bi-fins it made me wonder if I should stick with the bi-fins for a while, I monokick anyways. And I heard a russian finswimming coach say that you should master the monokick with bi-fins before getting the fin.

Thx for the help.

I bought the Waterway monofin first and, while it's a nice fin, it killed my feet. I then bought a Specialfin's mono. It is much more comfortable and I can wear it for hours.

Having said that, I still haven't done nearly the depth or distance with my monofin compared to my bi-fins. Maybe I have just been diving for too long with bi-fins to learn a "new trick" but I am still working on it.

It sounds great that you have a club to train with and then "try before you buy"- no such luck in my neck of the woods.

Jon

my personal experience as a monofin rookie: I tested a waterway several times, but most of the time it hurt my feet, was too stiff for me, and often went from left to right.

Now i got the specialfins "Dolphin" with the longer footpiece. which is very comfortable, and with these little rubber-"wings" it keeps in the track. I am very satisfied.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT