• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help needed by native speaking freedivers

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jvoets

Sep 4, 2001
I'm trying to translate a bunch of words and sentences in several languages for my freedivingspots.net website. I'm hoping that offering it in several languages will open it up to a broader freediving public.

If any native speaker of german, french, spanish or any language but english and dutch would like to help out, that would be GREATLY appreciated.

Reactions: subaquaticus
Cymraeg

well, i could translate things into my native language - 'Cymraeg' (Welsh) but i think i'm the only Welsh speaking freediver in the world - so there wouldn't be much point! :t

I might be able to help you, I could translate into Finnish... I don't know if you want that..?

Pekka

Alun

I would not say I was fluent but I speak enough Cymraeg to get by!! so there are 2 of us in the world!!!
Oes na fwy o Gymry allan yn y byd mawr sydd a diddordeb mewn deifio rhydd?:confused:

SHEEP SHEEP ALL THOSE SHEEP.

ONE SHEEP, A PAIR OF WELLY'S AND A HIGH CLIFF :D

dwi'n siwr na ni ydi'r unig rhai sydd wrthi yn deifio, ond ella fod na un neu ddau arall efo rhyw diddordeb?...

shanesac,
you see that little grey pip next to your name... have you ever wondered what it means? why is yours grey when all the others are blue? funny that isn't it. ;)

Say, in which countries do they speak native? :duh :D

I can help you with hebrew, but I truly think it'll hardly gain even one more diver, I don't think it is the language barrier that is the cause for the low numbers of us here.
I guess that the european languages should take top priority.
but anyway, if/when you want hebrew, i'm there! :)

Great!

I've been visiting a lot of country specific freedive forums to reach a larger audience. I noticed for example on an Italian one that english is sometimes not the language best understood by everyone.
If at least the interface is in someones native language, that would lower the threshold to participate.

So if you would like to help, please download this text file and replace the words / sentences between double quotes with a proper translation. If you then send it to info@freedivingspots.net I'll add your language right away.

Safe diving

jaap

I use www.freetranslation.com to translate the site into German, French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and Norwegian.

It's fast, but it's not bulletproof (huge understatement :D ) as I can judge from the German translation.

So if any of the deeperblue members is fluent in one of these languages and would like to help out a bit to correct the errors, that would be greatly appreciated

Hoi Jaap,

Ik spreek vloeiend Portugees maar mijn vriendin Patricia komt uit Brasilie en als zij over 2 weken terugkomt zal ik haar vragen de Portugese vertaling voor je te doen. Dan is het zeker goed.
Help me even herinneren tegen die tijd met een pm.

Groetjes Glenn.

Spanish, German & French

Anyone fluent in Spanish, German or French who'd like to help out?

There's a huge freediving community speaking those languages that aren't too enthuasiastic about reading English I think.

19th august remark:

I've changed the way the multilingual stuff works
anyone interested in helping out: please read this page

Last edited:
Thanks to Adrian Valls the freedivingspots.net website is now available in Spanish !

I tried to do the German translation myself, but got stuck halfway, if anyone feels like spending an hour to check & correct it, that would be greatly appreciated. Also someone who is fluent in French would be nice to help me out.

Jaap,

I can provide you the french version. Just let me a few days...

Fabrice

Hi Fabrice

that would be great.
I've got a special page which tells about translating the site, it's at http://www.freedivingspots.net/translate.html .

It boils down to translating the sentences behind the msgid tag in a the file messages.po and writing down that result behind the msgstr tag.

There's an excellent freeware tool called poEdit (link on the page above) that helps out keeping track of the translation.

Merci Beaucoup in advance

jaap

The German translation has become available now.
Veronika Dittes was so kind to check, finish and improve greatly my first attempt at it.

Many thanks to Veronika for helping out and making the website available in yet another language!

And translation nr. 7 of the website is there!

Many thanks to Patricia Werneck Ribas for translating the website into Portuguese !!!

And now available in French too....

Many thanks to Fabrice Desré for doing the French translation.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT