• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help Needed

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

GoblinShark

Apex Predator
Jun 5, 2002
Hello, I am new to free diving and I am trying to find the right fins for a newbie. I was thinking of getting either the Picasso Black Team or the Cressi Gara 2000LD fins. I find that each fin has it’s good and it’s bad. I like that I can remove the blades of the Picasso’s if they break. Do you guys think that I might break the Cressi’s while I am learning how to use long fins? I have weak ankles since I broke them both a couple of years ago. I can try on the Cressi’s at almost any dive shop in my area and then just order them from DiveInn, which I think is a plus unlike the Picasso. Why is a neoprene sock needed for the fins? I normally use my full foot snorkel fins without socks even though I have them. Which fins would you recommend?
Thank you very much!

Which fin?

Hi,
before wondering which one you should get, understand that like feet, all foot pockets are different. Italian like cressi are less wide then escalpez. That's why i got the escalpez green, because they were the one that fit my feet the best. The socks will help you feel more comfortable in the fin. Remember, longblade fins have a lot more trust then snorkel fins. They will get your feet sore and burned if you dont have a neoprene socks to distribute the force over a greater area of the feet.

At my dive shop, they have Cressi, picasso, beuchat, escalpez etc... I've tried them all in theyr pool and i choose the green escalpez because of the fit of the foot pocket. Believe me, dont get fins you haven't tried before.

hey goblin shark

im in your shoes my current fins are body boarding fins with a 28cm blade ive been down to 25m, im now lookin at omer millenium competitions ive got the money just need to get the right size and order them cant wait, hey crazy frenchman what sort of depth increase do you reckon i would get with the omers compared to the body boarding fins.
cheers

Bodyboarding fins

you know the feeling you get when you jump on a trampoline all day, then get off and try to jump?

Thats the feeling you get when you try your bodyboarding fins after using freediving fins. :D

hi griff

Awsome cant wait to get these fins even more now

You could do a lot worse than any of those fins you mentioned. I love the esclapez greens for 15m and less for cruising the kelp beds for white sea bass. :inlove The Picasso BT's will put you in a crowd of appreciative freedivers as well... lots of people out there swear by them as do those wearing Cressi Gara's. If you can fit in an OMER footpocket, go that way, definitely.

At the end of this then, it's a matter of what you can fit your foot into and learning the blade's nuances.

sven

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT