• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help on Mares model

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

bluecape

Apr 21, 2003
Hi all

I have come across a gun in cape Town which I'm considering buying as a 2nd gun, but know nothing about the model, and was wondering if anyone can give me some input ?

It is a Mares Explorer 75, royal blue. Quite a short gun, with 3 seperate safety-catch settings. ( one has 's', then 2 other settings labelled '1' and '2'.

The grip is white, with 'made in France', maybe another grip on it as s far as I'm aware, Mares is Italian ??

Anyway - explorer 75 - any advice appreciated.

Regards

Jeff

i'm italian and live in italy. i've never heard or seen about that gun. mares is italian for sure. with sporasub form the htm company, based in genua.
you probably already visited their site and made a search with google or similar ...
i can't say anything else to you
bye

Hi Montesirente

Thanks. Yeah, I did look it up but could'nt find anything under explorer 75 ? Maybe an old model, but have sent the gun to a friend here who has been in the game for many years, to get his feedback.

Regards

Jeff

Hi Jeff

The 75 is a very specific gun, you'll use it exclusively for hunting in very thick kelp or looking for romans/john browns in caves. If you're looking for a second gun, a 90 would be a better option. I basically use my 90 for kelp, reef and cave hunting. My 1.1 for yellowtail or when diving the reefs further up the coast (arniston,struisbaai, etc).

I don't know what the size of your first gun is, but a 90 and 1.1 will cover 99% of the spearfishing that you'll do in false bay and on the west coast.

But, if you're like me, who likes collecting spearguns, you'll buy the 75 if the price is right:D

Regards

Reactions: Memo
Thanks Miles, I was actually going to mail you direct with this question about the 75.

My first gun is a rabitech stealth rail gun, and absolutely love it.
The guy wants R 250-00 for the mares 75, cannot go too far wrong at that price I guess ?

Regards

Jeff

Hey Bluecape

I´m not to jugde wether you should buy a 75 gun or not. I use mine a lot though, sss "small smooth sucker".:D

The trigger action you describe sounds exactly like my 75 Immerson, s:SAFE, 1:NORMAL TRIGGER ACTION, 2 SHORT TRIGGER ACTION. When set in 2, you only have to think about pulling that sucker.:D

Joe

Thanks Joe..
Yeah, those trigger settings make sense. The gun also has a wire-wishbone, ( called a coat-hanger or something) which apparently can cause problems if they break.( Problems such as serious finger / hand injury), so have been advised to change that to Dyneema. Otherwise the gun seems very nice and uncomplicated.

Bluecape

My 75 gun still got it´s original wire-wishbone. Yep they can hurt, outch!!!! :blackeye
Normaly i would change the wire for an French Articulated, first: i just think they get a better grip in the spear, due to their shape, second: they are way stronger. My 75 shoots´n kill european cod up to 15 feet away!!!!! and dos it good YEP. A "coat hanger" is ok for 50-75 gun, for anyting larger i would change to something more rigid.

Joe

Hi,

I think 15ft range is a bit optimistic for a 75cm. Well, at that price you really can't complain though;) Just make sure that the rubbers still have some life in them. I'm assuming its got the same muzzle as your rabitech stealth. If it has screw in rubbers, be aware that they are horrendously expensive:( . By the way, whats the length of your Rabitech??

miles

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT