• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help setting up a kayak for spearfishing

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Yoho

Oct 8, 2017

Hi all

I was given this kayak as a present for my birthday.

I would like to use this to spearfish out of, has anyone done this? Is it suitable for the ocean?

I am thinking of putting a dive flag on a pole a anchor and a sounder down the track

Can people help with set it up, there isn’t a lot of storage so I need a place to secure my gun and fins while I paddle out.

Also is there anything else I am missing?

It depends on the length and width of the Kayak wether it be suitable for the Ocean also how far you intend to go out and how rough a sea you would take it out in. With wearing a wetsuit you will soon get cold in the cooler months of the year when getting back into the Kayak after a dive so a waterproof jacket helps stop that wind chill. Get used to the Kayak and how she moves in the water before spearfishing of her and practice re entering the Kayak from the water until you have got it perfect.

A Spare paddle is a must and a paddle leash is a good idea. A Buoyancy aid /jacket.
You can use a break away rig on your speargun which is attached to your kayak if you want to.
Is it a self draining Kayak?

Last edited:
Looks like it will work fine for you, just remember to strap/hook/bungee everything down or you will regret it, haha Most folks learn that one the hard way.

What hydroid said
also what i have done for my speargun is used pvc pipe and insert the gun into that. it has a cap on one end and a 90 degree bend on the other this way i can slide the gun in. you may have to cut a bit off the top of the pipe so you can slide the speargun into it. i used 75mm pipe and it works pretty well. if you drill holes in the bottom of the pipe you can avoid it filling with water. to attach it to my kayak i have mounted it with normal down pipe wall mounts than put silicone around the area that i screw in to avoid the water getting in. can look a bit agricultural but works well so no complaining :)

Secure everything. Rig clips and straps so you have plenty of lash points. Get a paddle leash and use it. I would avoid attaching float line to kayak and use a float.

Reactions: hydroid
I agree with much of the above, strap everything down, carry a spare paddle, get used to how the kayak handles before you spearfish from it, in wind and any real tide if your using the kayak as a float, it will be pulling you, set up a decent anchor system, really easy to do and use a folding anchor designed for the job, they are really effective. The most important thing is to do you your research regarding local conditions, check weather forecasts, know the tide time, height and direction of travel. Also a VHF isn't a bad idea if your going any distance and tell some one where your going and what time you expect to be back. Kayaking is great, just remember that if your paddling distance, then diving and paddling back, keep something in the tank and have food and liquid on board. One final thing, always check the pressure plug in your kayak before paddling off, every sit on kayak has one, if you leave it open, your taking on water! Have fun and dive safe☺

I freedive from a kayak all of the time. My current boat is a WS Ride; slow as hell, but a stable dive platform: It may be time for a new boat. I can stow all of my gear, including fins and a 100cm backup gun, in the forward hatch. Load the boat so she rides level. For me this means weight belt and anchor system in the stern hatch. Lighter gear forward. I clip the weight belt and anchor into an internal clip. My 115 gun is lashed w/ bungees to the stern, and the float line is attached to a clip. I always use a paddle leash and carry a collapsible spare

For an anchor I have a folding kayak anchor with 6' of chain. I usually attach a float to the bitter end of the 100' anchor line which trails down current from the boat. Keep your anchor scope long standard is 5:1. This means you are anchoring in fairly shallow water

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT