• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

help us hunt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

cebaztian

Oct 3, 2003
Spearfishing in Sweden is next to nothing. Mainly because it is illegal.

We are allowed to target practice though.

Now we want to start an official society with the following aims:

1. Select a team for spearfishing World cups. Where? How?
2. Start with national competition in target practice under water. How?
3. Try to change the swedish law regarding hunting.

Can anyone supply me with contact info with international organizations that deals with these things! Rules?

Sebastian
Sweden

Good luck to you Cebaztian. I don't know enough about the first two questions to be of any help, but I'd recommend trying to align spearfishing with moose hunting. I understand that's a very male-bonding activity in Sweden that is generally approved of. See if you can get some prominent hunters to cross over to diving and then start the suggestions with them. Point out combining the tradition of adventurous sea-faring with braving the cold and snow for the communal winter's meat. Wrap spearfishing into hardiness, feeding the women and kiddies, etc.

Make sure that you are always conservatively dressed when dealing with politicians so that they understand you are not some punker wacko (even if you are, peception is reality in politics! ;) ) that the whining Greenies can object to.

Good hunting, brother,

Old Sarge is right.

I was born in Sweden and know how the government can be. I would play on our traditional values and sea-faring history. I would also mention that spearfishing is the most economical way to fish because you leave no by-catch and select only one fish out of a school of many and leave the school alone.

Sweden is a beautifull country with a rich history, however as far as i know the main reason for being anti-spearfishing is because of the governments tight controll on guns.

calispearo said:
spearfishing is the most economical way to fish because you leave no by-catch and select only one fish out of a school of many and leave the school alone.

Sorry to nitpick, but dont you mean its the most environmentaly friendly and sustainable way to fish? ;)
Totally agree about the no by-catch!

Its by far the most uneconomical way to fish in terms of dollars spent vs fish caught. Which is also a good point to tell governments, as this means more dollars in the local economy.

Cebaztian:
Points to raise:
1. Almost no incidents of spearguns having been used to commit crimes, anywhere in the world.
2. Selective, sustainable seafood (the catch cry of the Australian Underwater federation)
3. Spearos seem to be among the willing to part with their cash, and donate their time when it comes to helping fisheries with surveys, cleanup days etc etc. We had 40 people turn up at their own expense (some brought their boats) to clean up noxious weed in Sydney Harbour. This was organised by a spearo who works for the National Parks Authority.
4. In a country like Australia, where spearfishing is very popular, it still only makes up 2% of fishing effort (NSW Fisheries Survey paper).

Grymmt Sebastian,
Vill du ha hjälp så hör gärna av dig. Är mkt sugen på att börja harpunera i Sverige. Om man får stabba marulk med rambokniv under scuba dyk i Norge måste man kunna få till en seriös licens givande utbildning som motsvarar jägarexamen här i Sverige.
nicolas.diamantoglou.830@student.ki.se

You would need to join CMAS to start competing at international level try this site for help www.cmas2000.org. I would imaging you would need to find out why spearfishing was made illegal in the first place before you start your campaign.

calispearo said:
Sweden is a beautifull country with a rich history, however as far as i know the main reason for being anti-spearfishing is because of the governments tight controll on guns.

oops.. then maybe they should stop watching James Bond movies... (isn't one of those where Kim Basinger was spearing on scuba and shot someone?) Looking scared to death through her round mask.. i may add... rofl rofl

(ok i am just jealous :vangry)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT