• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help with neck seal !

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TriggerFish

Dec 9, 2003
I was looking for Ideas on lotion, cream or the like that might help out with preventing the rash or more like severe razor burn I get after prolonged exposure to my Latex drysuit neck seal. I only notice it on my neck and not the wrist so I ruled out a latex allergy. The last time I dove in my drysuit the neck burn was so bad it looked as if I survived a near death by hanging. This also prompted some very funny comments about my personal life. :D
I had one person suggest Bag Balm but when I looked into it found that it is a petroleum based product and will shorten the life of the latex seal.

I've always used unscented talcum powder.

There also a commercial product out called "Seal Saver" that some divers use.

Jon

Thanks Jon . I do use talc to don the seals and I will look into the seal saver. Anyone else have a thought on this?

Aqueous cream is a good barrier cream that is used for washing small kids in the bath when they have excema instead of using soap - might be ok, but not sure what the base ingredient is.

Donna

TriggerFish said:
I was looking for Ideas on lotion, cream or the like that might help out with preventing the rash or more like severe razor burn I get after prolonged exposure to my Latex drysuit neck seal. I only notice it on my neck and not the wrist so I ruled out a latex allergy. The last time I dove in my drysuit the neck burn was so bad it looked as if I survived a near death by hanging. This also prompted some very funny comments about my personal life. :D
I had one person suggest Bag Balm but when I looked into it found that it is a petroleum based product and will shorten the life of the latex seal.

I am not a dry-suit diver but do have a bit of experience in dealing with rubber and latex stuff (amazing what little tid-bits of knowledge one acquires during a 10-year stint in the Navy...) and, if you are looking for some sort of "barrier" between the seal and your skin that is NOT Petroleum-based, you could give good ol' K-Y a look or at some of the products used to prevent/heal diaper rash (some are petroleum-based, some not).

However, I get a similar rash without a dry-suit seal if I use a blade to shave and then dive (even using a wet suit) within a few hours. It may be that either your skin is still really irritated from being scraped with a blade and the rubbing of the seal aggravates that or that the razor isn't doing a good enough job and the remaining stubble is being yanked about by the seal, causing a rash. You might want to try an after-shave lotion that doesn't contain alcohol and that is a real cream-based product to soothe the skin rather than the typical "manly-man" after shave with loads of Isopropyl Alcohol (which I think is the Cosmetic Industry's way to get revenge for the invention of panty-hose) which is supposed to "cleanse" the skin (read "burn away any remaining bacterial residue")

Just a couple of ideas....

Bret

don't shave and use loads of talc.... but I'm a girl so what do I know!!

howdy - personal lubricants such as k-y jelly or eros (commonly used with "other" latex situations) are good alternatives as well.

you'll find a plethora of choices at your local pharmacy/drug store.

kp

:wave

I too have problems if I dive right after I shave. But if I don't shave the same day, I'm usually fine. If I let it go a couple of days, it's no issue at all.
Tol

You could also try the Apollo Bioseal which would form a barrier between your skin and the seal. Not tried it myself though.

rorym

I agree with rorym, i have used bioseal for about 100 dives now, and i will never go back, comfort, better seal, and not alot of lube on my skin, i highly reccomend

If no K-Y use a bit of silicon grease. Talc washes off.

It only normally happens on salt water dives too so between dives wash the excess salt off and take the neck seal off.

After shaving apply some sort of moistourising lotion too. Try not to dive with stubble.

Change the neck seal, it is the problem. It can be too loose and allow movement while still sealing. It should move with your neck. This can also happen more when the suit is too tight on the shoulders. Neoprene seals are good too as an alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT