• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Help with the French language

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Bill

Baron of Breathold
Oct 17, 2001
Aloha gang
Sorry if I'm out of line but;
I decided to brush up on my French, by reading Jacque Mayol's book. I haven't read a book, written in French, since high school. Amazon.fr sent me a confirmation of the order so I got some of the language right. About the time the book was to arrive, there was an e-mail that I can't figure out. Heck, can't even figure out how to respond to say that I don't understand. If someone can help, I promise not to bore the site with a story about my three dives yesterday to 30+ meters, in 25 degree water and 25 meter viz. A perfect 25/25/25 +++.

best wishes
Bill
kv6j@kona.net

Reactions: subaquaticus
Bill,

I am sure I speak for those of us who are snowed-in or work-in:
You better get to the tread where folks a sharing recent dive outings and POST!rofl

Just playing...hey, how you gonna read J. Mayol in french if you can't read the email from FR? No reply necessary, because when my brother (Angus) reads this he is going to give me hell because I am not known for doing ANYTHING the easy way...something about kettles and pots:D

Warmly,

Aaron:D

you need help in french :)
no problem, just tell me what you want to translate
although i might charge a little :D i wont be to much
and i can guarantee that it will be right... ( french being my first language and all rofl)

oh well just e-mail me what you need translated
thin_air2@hotmail.com

P.S. i wont really charge you anything

You need a crazyfrenchmen i think

I use amazon.fr a lot to get books in english here, feel free to send me the message. frank_delisle@killspammer.hotmail.com

By the way, i've dive yesterday, the tide was low (here in St-Malo we get 14m (50') tide) and i hit the bottom at 2 feet..... the water was 38 F and the wiz was 1 feet..... We finally hate oysters on the rocks and they were good, just wish i'd brough white wine.

french threads?

i took about 4 years of french in high school. can't speak a lick, but my vocab is pretty good, and i know i could probably trudge through the translation if some of our french members were to converse en francaise. :D

seriously, it would be pretty cool to do since us monolingual freedivers already have an idea of what you're talking about in the first place. maybe i should just shut up and order mayol's book. rofl

adieu,
andrés

translated

Guys

Thanks for all the kind offers. Translation worked OK. Another case of knowing enough to be dangerous. The book is back ordered and the problem was too many e-mail addresses on my part. I'll get a French/English CD before I tackle Mayol's words. I don't want any criticism from the cheap seats about my "use it or lose it' philosophy. I'll remind you that little old ladies are diving 75 meters the easy way.

aloha
Bill

Bill said:
I decided to brush up on my French, by reading Jacque Mayol's book. I haven't read a book, written in French, since high school. Amazon.fr sent me a confirmation of the order so I got some of the language right. About the time the book was to arrive, there was an e-mail that I can't figure out. Heck, can't even figure out how to respond to say that I don't understand. If someone can help, I promise not to bore the site with a story about my three dives yesterday to 30+ meters, in 25 degree water and 25 meter viz. A perfect 25/25/25 +++.

There is a thread answering your question ; go there : http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=60963&page=1

subaquaticus said:
There is a thread answering your question ; go there : http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=60963&page=1
Your antics around this forum are starting to become obnoxious. What the hell are you doing digging up every 2 year old thread where french is mentioned? If you search you will equally find threads in spanish, italian, and pretty much dozens of other languages. French is not the international language and what brings people together in this forum is ENGLISH

Give it up already

Last edited:
Merlin said:
Your antics around this forum are starting to become obnoxious. What the hell are you doing digging up every 2 year old thread where french is mentioned? If you search you will equally find threads in spanish, italian, and pretty much dozens of other languages. French is not the international language and what brings people together in this forum is ENGLISH

Give it up already

Are you an official DB moderator ?

Who entitled you to "French Bash" Jacques Mayol :rcard ?

Have you got any idea by the way who this gentleman is and what role he played in the development of apnea ?

Apparently you did no lift enough weights today :ko , did you ?

No sabia que tu eres un Cubano ; creia que tu eres un Gringo !

Mejor que mejor ! Tu ingles es increible ! Como lo apprendiste ?

Generalmente en todos los paisos latinos la gente entiende el frances mucho mejor que el ingles...

Nunca podria hablar ingles con un Latino ; para mi es un crimen contra la Latinidad !

Estuve en Mexico el ano del terremoto (1985) ; estuve en varias ciudades (Mexico ciudad, Oaxaca, Acapulco,...) ; nunca oide una palabra de ingles ; solamente en una agencia de viajes...

He visto una pelicula estupenda sobre la vida del Che Guevarra (con el actor chicano Gael Garcia Bernal que juego en la pelicula de Almodovar "La mala Educacion") ;

Last edited by a moderator:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT