• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Helsinki Spearos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Ntrik

Jan 27, 2004
Hello

I have a buddy in here in the UK that wants to know what spearo setup he will need to start spearing in Finland.
Also what are the prevailing conditions (weather, visibility) and the main target fish?
Hes from Rihiimaki north of Helsinki. So are there any spearo clubs around that area he can join?

By the way you Finns have an amazing country, I got me a nice plot of land in Kuusamo last year, planning to move there at some point in time.

Regards

Nikos:p

Finland is defenetely not the very best place to go spearfishing.
Visibility is normally not very good, about 1-3 meters.
Short guns are the best option for our waters.
Perch and flatfish are the most common fish to shoot here.
For more information about spearing here and spearfishin clubs please see www.teamkampela.com. I normally spear with my brother or alone, now that my brother is in UK. I live in helsinki and the most common place to go from here is porkkala. I normally lack the buddy when going spearing so I wouldnt mind taking your buddy with if he needed company.

Kuusamo is a beautyfull place. Although I personally would not want to move up that north, but if one can tolerate the cold and dark winters there it should be very nice place.

Tuomo

Tuomo

Thanks for the info. Great site also.
My friend is a complete beginner that has caught the "disease" of freediving from yours truly. He plans to buy equipment on returning to Finland in a couple of weeks and start spearfishing. Im sure hed appreciate someone more experienced to go with so ill tell him of your offer and then perhaps it is posiible to meet for some hunting trips.

One more question Tuomo how many mm suit do u need for your waters?

The Kuusamo property I found for 32000 euros for 150 acres it was a sweet deal with liscence to build 2 houses(also has 400m of river running through it). I plan to build in the near future for the ultimate retreat.

Regards

Nikos

Your friend will be best of with fairly warm suit.
I use 7mm yamamoto open neoprene suit, which is very warm. In summer time 5 mm would be ok, but fall and early spring are defenete 7 mm times.
7 mm or 5mm freediving suit will do fine.

br,

Tuomo

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT