• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Herbert Nitsch arrested!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

trux

~~~~~
Dec 9, 2005
Herbert was briefly arrested in Hong Kong because he transported spearguns, what is not permitted there.

Google automated translation:

The strong apneista holder W.R. specialty in "No Limits" was stopped by police at Hong Kong when the plane was already in Cebu, his goal. The "fault"? In his luggage were three guns for fishing, banned in this country. After a still, taken with humor by Herbert, ended shortly after.

arresto02.jpg

Reach by phone, the Apnea Academy instructor Roberto Mattana, which we asked to comment on this article. <<The detention of Nitsch we must reflect on the fact that the laws should be known.>> Declares Roberto, who continues <<Whether it's done in Italy, whether it is done abroad .... INFORMATION ON EXISTING LAWS. Only then can be avoided trouble that could also be serious. In some countries, certain crimes are punished severely with rather lengthy detentions also>>.

Reactions: spaghetti
It looks like bandguns to me on the photos (the first photo on the source page, not the one quoted here)

I remember I was flying through Hong Kong once with a spear, and I was a bit apprehensive about it - because from what I remember, even if you are in transit your luggage can be stopped and checked when it is moved from one plane to another. Which is dumb if you have no access to it.

I got stopped in HK two years ago for the same reason, had to spend an hour or so in what looks like a similar police van while the cops opened my luggage and phoned their superiors for advice on what to do about the RA speargun they had found. They even had armed police searching the plane for me while I was still up in the airbridge, dunno what the other passengers were thinking. In the end they let me off with a warning, which is presumably what they always do in that situation.

Ridiculous. I mean; HK, China, they don´t care about animals at all. What do they think? A invasion by spearfishers, going Amok somewhere?

That some airports have the legal authority to search your luggage when you are in transit (and some even to make you to go through immigraiton like LAX which is the dumbest of all) is indeed without any logic, and our only defense is to know and avoid them.

As for the specific issue of the spearguns, I am sorry for the Cebu fish which are already quite overfished I assure you, including with dynamite. I just hope that Herbert knows what and where to shoot.

When I first read the title I had a little anxiety attack and then I read about the spearguns and I was like Whew!! Thank God!!
I am a fan of Herbert Nitsch.

it s a shame that they are quite liberal when it comes to eating dogs and throwing live sharks back in the sea to drown after de -finning them ..
crazy me thinks

I thought I read "omer" somewhere in that picture but maybe I wasn't focussing well.
Not sure where you saw it (perhaps the policemen had guns from Omer :) ), but Spaghetti is definitely right that the guns laying in front of the policemen are Trygons. I enhanced the picture, so that you can see it quite clearly:
herbert-guns.jpg

EDIT: Ah, apparently, I was enhancing the wrong picture! :duh
hold on - I make a second try!

Last edited:
it s a shame that they are quite liberal when it comes to eating dogs and throwing live sharks back in the sea to drown after de -finning them ..
crazy me thinks

GOOD point!

I myself have visited some strange places over there, where you find tons of dried sharkfins in every small shop, always had to think how they probably were "harvested" (sorry...but I think the animals are treated just like that). Also, I can safely say that sharkfin is definitely overrated - tastes totally boring. I found out too late what I had been eating... :-(

Well, so at the enhancing of the other picture, I found it was not Omer, but Homer. The H fell little too deep, so the censors do not let me posting the enhanced photo. The conclusion: the ass is indeed Greek and not Italian.

Last edited:
Well, so at the enhancing of the other picture, I found it was not Omer, but Homer. The H fell little too deep, so the censors do not let me posting the enhanced photo. The conclusion: the ass is indeed Greek and not Italian.

Yes the extremely fine "derriere" is Greek: it was on the cover of the Trygons catalogue 2007 and it belongs (the ass, not the catalogue) to a girl from Athens who owns a pharmacy (rumors say).
I don't know if Herbert is actually sponsored by Trygons, but it's probably so, as the sled he used for his NL record was Trygons made. But I didn't know he's a spearo...good on him :)
Hey, PSSSST, listen to me guys! The "ass" thing gave me an idea: since all the Deepeblue mentors and team leaders seem to be on holiday these days (I haven't spotted any of them on line recently) why don't we start NOW a "Bikini gone wild" thread somewhere in here? :) :) :)

Yes the extremely fine "derriere" is Greek: it was on the cover of the Trygons catalogue 2007 and it belongs (the ass, not the catalogue) to a girl from Athens who owns a pharmacy (rumors say).
I don't know if Herbert is actually sponsored by Trygons, but it's probably so, as the sled he used for his NL record was Trygons made. But I didn't know he's a spearo...good on him :)
Hey, PSSSST, listen to me guys! The "ass" thing gave me an idea: since all the Deepeblue mentors and team leaders seem to be on holiday these days (I haven't spotted any of them on line recently) why don't we start NOW a "Bikini gone wild" thread somewhere in here? :) :) :)

Spaggie I’ll dig my Bikini out later, do you want the pict with or without the high heels?roflroflrofl

Reactions: spaghetti
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT