• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hey, everybody, look!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Oldsarge

Deeper Blue Budget Bwana
Jan 13, 2004
Well, after ages of hanging around DeeperBlue and other spearo forums, I've finally managed to nail some fish. Sun ob a gun! Las' weak I cudn't spel spurfishrmun an' now I are won. Now I want to be completely clear. My contribution to the two days' bag was two triggerfish (mm-mmm!), one modestly sized leopard grouper and an opaleye shot by mistake. It's a shame that those things aren't any good to eat because that was my best shot, a complete stoner. However, that was four fish out of six shots because I spent an hour playing tag with a hogfish. He won and those two misses bent the point of my spear so I couldn't hit anything I shot at the next day. But this is a ball! Somehow, in my overscheduled life I will find time for this again. Amphibious, this is all your fault, you spearfishing evangelist, you.

Folks, if you have an itch to dive the Sea of Cortez, Dale Pearson at www.gonetobaja.com is THE MAN! Did I mention that this was my first ocean dive? Yup, he took a beginner's beginner and made me successful the first time out. If there is, anywhere on the planet Ocean, a Spearfishing U., Dale runs it. Thanx Dale, Navi and Scott. I couldn't have been better supervised in my old kindergarten many, many years ago.

Isn't that parrot fish amazing?

Attachments

• gonetobaja1 002.jpg
    gonetobaja1 002.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 204
  • gonetobaja1 001.jpg
    gonetobaja1 001.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 208
  • gonetobaja1 003.jpg
    gonetobaja1 003.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 209
  • gonetobaja1 005.jpg
    gonetobaja1 005.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
We had some of the grouper at the restaurant in San Felipe done with Philadelphia cream cheese and vegetable sauce. It was almost too good. Last night I sauteed the triggerfish with dill weed and coriander seed in the dredging. It was nearly as good. In fact, for a fish, I like the triggers better. Later this week I'll make a cioppino/boullabaise kind of soup with some of the rest of the grouper and some of the snapper along with frozen shrimp and canned clams. I'm looking forward to that, too.

Hiya

GREAT STUFF!!!! Sad part is that, YOU'RE HOOKED NOW!!:D:D:D The water looks stunning, must've been awesome!!

On my recent trip to Mozambique, my wife also found those parrots to be stunning. Refused to shoot one for the fire, because they were too pretty!!! That was UNTIL a 4kg one came swimming past her.....................they do taste oh so great!!!!!:D:D:D

Kepp on having fun!!

Regards
miles

Hey Sarge!!!!!!!

Well I feel good that I have done my part to contribute to the further decline of responsibility to the working force! Another junkie has been created!

It was great having you on the trip Sarge! I was suprised when you swam back to the boat after only a few minutes in the water with a fish! It must be the hunting experience. I was also blown away when you shot a grouper on your first day spearfishing. A great accomplishment! It took me years before I shot a grouper. I told you that you would like the triggerfish! Next time down I know you will be nailing more of them. Just watch out for the teeth!!

I am going to post some more pics from the trip on Wed. I am heading back in the morning for a two day trip.

Thanks again for heading down Sarge, I had a great time.

GTB
http://www.gonetobaja.com
http://www.spearfishingvideos.com

Reactions: Alison
Actually that really looks what spearing should be like, clear blue warm sea's, pretty fish and smiles all round; nothing what I look like getting out of the water rofl, snotty nose, bass entrail slopped on my shoulder and fish scales everywhere :( least of all the falling over trying to pull my feet ot of my fins!
Yup! Im jealous!!

Good going Sarge! The stalking gets that adrenalin running eh? :)

Adrian

Thats some good action. You will never forget first time rofl What a first time it is :)

Triggers are my fovorite eating fishes too, and yes theirs bites is nasty.

That triggerfish that Sarge is holding is the actual "first fish" that he got.

Next time it may be a 7 fish trigger limit per day for the ol" Sarge....

Everything was taken with a Riffe teak #2 that Dale loaned me. He has a selection for the inexperienced or the Euro-afflicted. :D I consider that sort of a 6.5 Swedish of spearguns and when I get around to buying my own (soon, I hope!) I'll be going after a #3. If there is anything that is the 30/06 Mauser 98 for the sea, that's the gun and that's what I want. Odd, though, I don't have one for the land; just things that are bigger or smaller. Maybe I'm going to try to avoid collecting as many spearguns as I have rifles? That would be uncharacteristicly sensible of me.

congratulations! nice job. That sure looks like a nice place to dive.

My first gun was a riffe #3x. The x models have a small cocking stock which I found helpful in seeing the tabs when loading the bands. I always refered it to a 30/06 in the water. Great guns, lots of power, good trigger feel, and big shaft to slow down those lunkers! I definatly have more spearguns than rifles, now that I think about it I have more pairs of fins than I do have shoes too!! Underwater hunting is the ultimate sport.
Jay

Hey Old Sarge!!!

Nice shot, and BTW, if you can afford a Holland .375 you can get an speargun arsenal capable of putting all of us togheter in shame rofl !!!

Go ahead and enjoy, buy your 3 favourites at least! You'll love to have an special gun for each fish and bottom type! I suffer a litle bit for having just one gun more bluewater than rocky bottom type, sometimes I have to forgive some tasty fish for not being big enough or being to close to the rocks because of my large gun... Get a short, a middle and a long Riffe and make me green of envy!! :)

Best regads!

I figure I can use a Riffe Hawaiian witn one band in the rocks, three bands for anything up to wsb or yellowtail. If I ever get brave enough to try for yellowfin (fat chance, that!) I'll spring for a Blue Water Special. I'm really trying to simplify my life. Heck, I've already sold off half my gunsafe and I'm not done, yet.

Good Show Walter!!!!

be afraid, you;re hooked now.... it;s all uphill from here! :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT