• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hey from Fl

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

WhitJackson

Jun 16, 2008
Hey All,
I am from Southern New Jersey but I live in Delrey Beach Fl now. Pretty new to spearfishing but looking to meet some people here in FL to show me the ropes.
Whit

I am new to spearfishing and live in S Florida. I am going to a spearfishing seminar that divers direct is holding next Thursday. You have to pre-register. I am going there with a friend who is a complete newbie as well.

Be safe, and try and hook up with a more experienced diver for the first couple times. They will show you places that wont leave you frusterated, and that could save the sport for you. Itll also be safer, and you will learn a ton without even realizing it. :friday

Where is south florida? I have been spearfishing for a few months now. Luckily I have a few buddies who are real into it and they showed me the ropes. Unfortunantly they live in NJ. I am looking for some spearfishing buddies to learn together. I know of some spots down here and have had some luck already.

That sounds great! I'll see if I can't find out some good information at the seminar as well. My buddy and I don't have a boat, we have some reefs we have swam out to though. I was also thinking about renting a kayak and see how that goes.

Thanks for the info Fleshy! That makes sense, i'll see what I can do. Looks like WhitJackson has more than me, so thats a start! ;)

Too bad you are in Wisconsin. Have any locals you would suggest?

Yeah, get back to me when you are finished. I have a lreal ittle boat so we could go out on calm days to the deeper reefs. Better than swimming 300 yards out.

That sounds like a great plan! I have gas money, etc...

Freedive, or Scuba?

I am learning how to free dive and I am Scuba certified.

I am trying to work on my freediving and breath holding also. I feel like it is more of a challenge and adventure that way. I am certified in scuba though. How long have you been freediving?

Not long at all. I am working on it, and I have not tried to use weights while free diving. I am hoping to pick up safety tips this Thursday.

There is a Spearfishing Tournament in Marathon, FL in July...You should be preparing for that. All the money goes to the American Cancer Society. There is also at least $5,200 in cash prizes. E-mail or call for more information, 305-743-2444 (ask for Ryan) or ryan@captainhooks.com
Thank you

A friend and I went out to Deerfield this weekend (north of the pier a half mile or so). We were out there from 7:30 till about 11 both Saturday and Sunday. Saw a couple of Lane Snappers, squid, and an undersized trigger. Really need to find a better spot with Beach access. Also saw a spanish and king mackeral, but could not get close enough for a shot.

The seminar was good. Learned a lot, and had a lot of my questions answered.

Last edited:
Friend has a pole spear, and I have a 90 Euro Gun. What time are you headed out? Where are you headed?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT