• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hey to all Oz's boys again

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

gerard

Oct 3, 2002
What the best spot for shore diving deep cos in Brisbane you need to basically catch a power boat to get anywhere decent. Everything here is bloody shallow, and I am getting insane by training exclusively in the pool. It's booooring:duh

Back in Spain I knew a place in Menorca (Baleares islands) where I remember catching my bike, pedal for 15 minutes and have access to a drop-off of 60 m just after a 20 m swim. I need something like that now, not back then when I was only a snorkel bum. I miss the Med now.

Regards, gerard.

Reactions: ivan
hi

Yeah I heard its like that in France and Italy as well. Probably why they are such good freedivers. But sorry bro my knowlege is local and extends from Cooktown to Cairns. But hey your not the only one we probably have to travel further than you by boat to get deep water. :)

cheers

Ivan

What's is like up there? Anything shore-based-deep in that area?

Thanks again mate, gerard.

hi

NO such thing as deep shore diving. I could talk all day about our local area but I will explain briefly. Travelling straight out from shore for the first 10nm the depth is not much past 60ft, you then hit the shipping channel this is the section just before the GBR here it is mostly 25 to 33m deep. Then the inside or start of the reef is mostly shallow some drop offs are to 30m but no more. Then we have what are called the Outer reefs these reefs are awsome with perfect Vis big fish etc. These are 30nm plus off shore. After here is where you get true deep blue water, this is where the reef stops and the continental shelf drops off to a couple of kilometres deep. So this is wy we have a 20ft Haines hunter with a 200hp Yamaha. We get there quickly with a big fuel price to match. So if you are trying to get to 40m plus you will probably have to travel between 20 - 30nm.

cheers

As we say in Oz land

BLOODY HELL MATE!

Freediving where you live is too dear.

I think when I graduate I'll moving country again. I am a deep water addict too.

Regards, gerard.

hi

True mate. Our last day trip covered 103miles not nautical miles. Usually it costs us between 100-200$ for a day trip. So yeah very expensive. But hey you can get days with 200ft plus vis, big Tunas that are always to deep for me.

cheers

hi

Yeah there are lots of shore based headlands and reefs which I use my 12ft Tinny to get to. If you feel like walking along the beach you could shore dive them but I just launch the tinny down the beach and use that. But you were after deep water right no deep water in close. But good spearing anyways. In fact one of my most consistent Mackeral spots is easy to get to in the 12ft.

cheers

No I was thinking of freediving

Spearing is just a hobby, while apnea is my religion:cool:

Regards, gerard.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT