• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi all.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sv0atc

Feb 13, 2021
Hello all. I will give some background on myself where I ended up here.

It's 2021, I'm 42 years old, Canadian never dived. But spent many a summer in pools/lakes..have gone 4m deep without ever equalizing and just enjoyed swimming. I am a very strong swimmer and feel very comfortable in the water. I've had a friend once say everyone swims but it's like I dance underwater.

I love water.

Lived all my life in Canada and I bought a boat in French Polynesia so I could come out here and enjoy life. With the plan of going to the atoles for months and diving enjoying the wildlife and mostly living off fishing.

I came at the end of 2020.

Now when I started spearfishing I started like anyone with smaller fish and gradually try for bigger and bigger.

I have the disadvantage of never having spearfished. I compare myself to people who have done it for years and I'm a rookie. But I get fish daily.

One problem I encountered was a few weeks go I learned about equalizing and tried to but realized my cartilage is tough. And makes equalizing quite hard. I learned of exercises you can do to give elasticity to your ear drums. I did them but not very diligently also learned of breathing exercises and also did them but not very diligently. What I did do diligently was go fishing everyday. Being in the water is what it's about.

I I've been diving and fishing and going 5-8m with very bad equalizing or none.
But I tend to stick to 5m and I used to swim in 4m in pools so cant figure that last m is that drastic.

And only.doing. 7-8m when my arrow gets stuck down there... And these are the time I focus and equalize the best I can.

At 5m I fish and relax. But deeper I diligently equalize.

Yesterday I fished a couple hours also this was my first time trying out a couple weights on a belt. Got a napoleon right as I got in water and nailed afish the size I wish I'd get. But he got away. Bah. Those scales are too tough on some fish.

I fished and never noticed a problem even when I came out of the water cause sharks were getting kills around us I still didn't notice

Our dingy is inflatable and is total.junk and deflates. I spent quite some time inflating it and noticed nothing

but then we got back to the catamaran. And.... Bam my ear is ringing maybe it was when I rinsed with cold rainwater

Or maybe not. I don't know.

Dtoday the ringing persists.

I came here because of a thread about these things and figured I would register and maybe start comenting.

And honestly ask below ith equalizing I need it. Can't let this happen again.

Thanks and hope someone here can help me learn.

-Phil-

Also while I was in water I felt great I thought I had found a nice equilibrium and could five all day this way.

Boy was I wrong. So weird but felt good

Hello,
I've been a scuba diver since the late 1970s and recently completed a freediving class taught by the esteemed Emma Farrell approximately three years ago. If possible, I suggest that you take a freediving class where you will learn equalization using the Frenzel technique and many other important skills. Otherwise, you may benefit from watching YouTube tutorials on the Frenzel method -

I also suggest that you begin equalization at the start of your descent within two meters and continue equalization as you descend.

Cheers,
Ken

Reactions: Mr. X
Thanks Ken. I will lookup if I've already seen the Frenzel and if not I will learn itig yes then I will.try to commitmto it more

My ear is still ringing and itsbeen three days

Reactions: GreatLaker
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT