• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi and Packing ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spike

Jun 11, 2004
Hi, I'm new to the freedive scene and have been reading all I can find about it both here in the forums and anywhere else online.

I'd love to do a course but doesnt seem to be any or many people doing freediving here in Sydney Australia let alone courses.

I've been doing scuba for about 15 years and "play" freediving since being a kid. Now I am attracted to taking it a bit more serious. I just got some new gear. Mares volo race fins, X Comfort mask and a Isotherm wetsuit for scuba, so this should be good for freediving I think.

Well my main question is about packing. I've seen alot of references to packing, reverse packing etc and I dont really understand what it is or why you do it. Can anyone elaborate on the principles?

Also I've heard of "tables" again, anyone that can advise?

Cheers,
paul.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums! I am a bit new here too, but here is what I know about packing...

The diaphragm can only create enough negative pressure to expand the lungs to a certain point. This, however, is not the limit of lung volume. Greater air can be "pressed" into the lungs using this technique called packing which takes advantage of the mouth and tounge to push more air into the lungs. Check out these links which were posted in another thread about packing by bobbybuttr.
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=37542
http://www.hanapaahawaii.com/training/frenzel_fattah.asp

Someone else can probably help with the tables more than I can though.

Wow great info and links, thanks guys!

I was so surprised to see Seb's site. I had searched for something like it months ago when I first read about him in Sydney papers. A course in Sydney in less then a month! TOPS! ;)

Are there any books on the market that are worth reading or is all information available on the net in some form?

cheers,
paul.

Terry Maas's book "Freedive" is ok, has lot of the basics, same stuff can be found on this forum.

Are the Mares fins longblades? Scuba fins dont really hack it on a deeper dive...

Hi Shadowkiller,

Yeah think I'll see what I can learn before getting a book, not unless one really stands out as being "essential".

The mares arnt long. I got the foot pocket type so I can use them both for scuba and freediving. Once I get a better idea whether to pursue it I'll fork out the $200 odd dollars for some sporasub or esclapex (sp) fins.

cheers!

Yeah, I had the Mares, a nice soft fins for a nice Scuba dive... I find they are easily overpowered and arent suited for (free)dives over 10 meters... try find youself a nice pair of Garas 2000 or 3000 or a Omer Millenium Comp etc...... they arent that expensive as well

I have another newbie question. I've seen alot of talk of the breath-up phase yet no real discussion of exactly what people are doing.

I pretty much just do relaxted deep breaths up to 15 seconds then deep fast breaths, 1 every 5 seconds until the hold.

I'm very aware of hyperventilating so that breath-up phase I do is conservative (i think).

Whats the general consensus on the breath-up phase?

cheers!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT