• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi Everyone from Detroit/ Boca Raton

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

WingedWheel

Apr 3, 2016
Hello all! I'm looking to get into this wonderful world of spearfishing that I have been reading about. I live near Detroit, but my grandfather has a home in Boca Raton, FL so my diving time is somewhat limited because I do not like fresh water. We are planning a trip to the Bahamas in May and I hope to learn as much as I can before then.

If anyone can link some basic info about breathing exercises, good fins, pole Spears or hawaiian slings, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Please take a look at my website as you are shopping for gear. We stock a wide variety of products, probably everything (or anything) you might need for your upcoming trip.

I will make a couple of general recommendations.. Often diving in the Bahamas involves long periods of time in the water and a good amount of surface swimming. most people will be best served by softer fin blades.. Take a look at our MAKO fiberglass fins (with soft blades).

In the Bahamas you have the choice of two types of legal spearing gear (guns are not allowed). Pole spears and Hawaiian slings. Each gear type has its advocates and certain situations are better for one type than another.

However, it has been my experience that most people can pick up and start using a decent pole spear quicker and more effectively than they can learn to use a sling. We sell both, but if you are starting out, a good pole spear will not take long to learn and is very effective. There are a lot of options to consider, such as spear tip selection, pole spear size and also if you will be using a pole spear loading hook.

I will provide a few links, which you may find useful.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Big-Game-Pole-Spear-s/81.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/Pole-Spear-Tips-s/105.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/Hawaiian-Sling-Pole-Spears-s/80.htm

http://www.makospearguns.com/Competition-Fiberglass-Fins-Black-p/mcffgf-blk.htm

Dive safe!

Dano

Hello all! I'm looking to get into this wonderful world of spearfishing that I have been reading about. I live near Detroit, but my grandfather has a home in Boca Raton, FL so my diving time is somewhat limited because I do not like fresh water. We are planning a trip to the Bahamas in May and I hope to learn as much as I can before then.

If anyone can link some basic info about breathing exercises, good fins, pole Spears or hawaiian slings, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Hi there. I am in Columbus, Ohio and I freedive at an awesome quarry in northwest Ohio that is a huge scuba facility. It is called Gilboa quarry. I buy a membership every season and head up there as often as I can to practice my freediving. I know you said you don't like freshwater but I think you would love this place. They have all kinds of wrecks sunk to swim through (large plane, cargo helicopter, bus, boats, and more) and tons of cool fish (no spearfishing). It has depths from 25 to 125ft so it is a great place to work on the freediving! I am always looking for people to meet up with that can freedive as there are not too many in this region. I would love hearing from you and maybe getting a few dives in this summer and fall as the water stays decently warm through October.

Thanks for the replies! I have been doing some hardcore lurking through some of the stickies to get a feel for breathing techniques, and am searching for a class for when I get back down to Florida. Mike, I will actually try to check that out once this nasty weather straightens itself out... we got 2" of snow over the weekend here

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT