• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi everyone! Newby asking for fin buying advice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

raindroptree

Dec 29, 2017
HI everyone! I just recently got into freediving and went on my first dive with a friend here in barton springs austin tx. I borrowed his U.S. divers open heel fins and jumped in the water. My natural instinct was to do the dolphin kick and i was flying like a beast! I have never worn fins before and i am actually a pretty bad swimmer as far as speed goes. I have never taken lessons or had instruction in any way. I grew up going to the beach and snorkeling(no fins, just snorkeling mask), as well as swimming a lot in the pool and i have always been better at swimming underwater doing the dolphin kick than swimming at the water's surface. It is very fun and natural for me.

After that first freediving experience, i fell in love with fins and now i am looking for a pair at a decent price, nothing above $50. I was going to buy the same scuba fins that he let me borrow, but I read that they break easily and do not last. I would like a pair that will last and i prefer used equipment(ebay, craigslist, etc.). So my question really comes down to which type of fin should i buy? I will be doing freediving only, no scuba, but i have no experience with freediving fins. I only see freedivers doing trained scissor kicks.

So i am wondering if freediving fins are good for the way i swim, or should i just stick with the scuba fins? I know there is the uni-fin, but i also like that when i stop swimming, i can float like normal by kicking both feet.

Freedivers & spearo usually go for long slim fins with footpockets. Spearos often go for slightly softer blades as they tend to cover longer distances on the surface, rather than competing for absolute depth. Personal preference really. SCUBA fins often fit a much wider range of sizes via a backstrap - and so can also accommodate diving boots or socks as the mood takes you - making them easy to fit and versatile. Footpockets must be carefully fitted for size - which is effected by temperature and any neoprene socks that you may wish to wear. Fortunately, feet tend to shrink in the cold, so I find my fins accommodate quite thick socks in winter but fit well with lighter socks or bare feet in the Summer.

Surprised to read that (some?) Scuba fins don't last long. Fins can last decades, including SCUBA classics like the Jet fins (as used by the military, among many others).

You do sound like a candidate for a monofin and I don't know much about them. I would imagine they are the least versatile and most fussy to fit option -and perhaps most expensive? - but perhaps most fun! :) I don't think I would recommend them to somebody just starting out but its really up to you -- I sense that is what you are hankering after. Just be careful ;)

Some retailers sold decent looking Seacsub (or was it Seatec?) spearo fins on ebay for £24-£28 a few years ago. I haven't seen them listed recently but then I haven't been looking. The pound is weaker these days tho'.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT