• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi from Cape Town

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Rockbrother

Rock'nFish
Sep 5, 2005
Hi

I have only joined this forum a day or to ago and already I visit a few times a day trying to look busy at work!

I SCUBA dive, Spearfish and play underwater hockey(occasionally), pub diving, anything with a mask and snorkel really, Even got a scientific/commercial quilification which is good for washing windows in the 2Oceans aquaruim in my spare time. I recently started with under water photography and like taking pictures of Nudibranchs, I already have 12 species from around False Bay.

Mostly I dive in the cold and dirty water around Cape Town, but I have been to Thailand, Mozambique and in 2 weeks time I am going to Zanzibar for 3 weeks.

cheers
Wilhelm

Rockbrother said:
Hi

I have only joined this forum a day or to ago and already I visit a few times a day trying to look busy at work!

I SCUBA dive, Spearfish and play underwater hockey(occasionally), pub diving, anything with a mask and snorkel really, Even got a scientific/commercial quilification which is good for washing windows in the 2Oceans aquaruim in my spare time. I recently started with under water photography and like taking pictures of Nudibranchs, I already have 12 species from around False Bay.

Mostly I dive in the cold and dirty water around Cape Town, but I have been to Thailand, Mozambique and in 2 weeks time I am going to Zanzibar for 3 weeks.

cheers
Wilhelm

Howzit!@!! Do you know Miles? :D

Howzit Bru!

Welkom!!!

Say hi to the Mutha City from Zambi.....................

You'll love Zanzibar, it rock's......... don't get lost in stone(d) town!!!!

The Guy with all the jokes?....
No I think I would have remembered.

Can't wait for Zanzibar, I got 20 SCUBA dives planed already!!!!
I am also going to Pemba, where the visibility is supposably up to 60m. I don't know how anybody determined that kind of visibility, it is beyond me to imagine.

Hiya Wilhelm

Great site at deeperblue. Send me your e-mail address, am organising some spearing trips to North Paw on a 54 boat from the Waterfront. ( Esperance)

We normally plan to leave at about 8 am, back by 12 pm, not very exciting, mainly Hotties, but the Paw is a nice dive when clean, and depth about 22 meters. Just a nice relaxing morning on the boat.

Jeff.

PS, will be diving in the aquarium next week to test a video housing.

I am currently at sea, working on a diamond mining ship. I will only be back in Cape Town in mid november. I work for 4 weeks at sea then 4 weeks on leave thats why I can go to Zanzibar for 26 days!

I will let you know when I am back in Cape Town.

Cheers
Wilhelm

You don't know Brian and Jakes up in Luderitz / Kaapstad do you??? Going back a few years now.... they were diamond divers.

No, I don't think so. I am not a diamond diver myself. The ship that I work on makes use of a remote operated vehicle, we dont have any divers onboard. We are talking about a waterdepth here of over 100m.

I see, I met a bunch of the divers on the 2 occasions I was sailing in South West Africa, your job sounds interesting, is it far offshore or close to the river mouths?

The job's not bad. A month at sea can get a bit long some times, but then again you have a month at home, or where ever you want to go. Last year I went to Thailand and this year it will be Zanzibar.

We mine about 20 - 30km offshore, and anything up to 100km up the coast from the Oranje River on the Namibian side. The water is cold and dirty and you are miles offshore so you cannot even go for a swim!

Hiya

Welcome!!!!:D:D

Just to let you know, you're in a prime Blue Water Hunting area!! I know of a couple of boats that commercially fish for tuna in that area.

Regards
miles

I have been out with Alan of African Seafaris in march. I tagged and released a nice one probably about 50kg. I think I pulled it up a bit to quickly and it riped out with the gut in my hands!!! :duh . One of the other guys on the boat landed a 92kg specimen. I also got chased out the water by a 3m shortfin Mako, not a bad day at all.

I am definately getting my gear ready for November.

Hiya

Very nice boat Alan's got!!! Pity about the mako. They're not that common, just plain old bad luck that you had to get one :(:(

The new season is almost here, so i'm getting all my kit ready!!:D:D

Regards
miles

rofl I must have been typing that question the same time as you were posting the pics of your boat rofl what a coincidence :D

Are you kidding!!! The Mako was the highlight of the day. I even took a picture of it (from the safty of the boat). I'll put it in my gallery. It did not come out very good, cut off the tail because I just leand over the side and stuck my hands in the water. I did try to take while still in the water, but a digital camera takes to long to take a picture and then I had to start swiming. I was actually in the water taking a pic of a tuna someone had on the line. The shark eventually took off half the tail.

where was everybody?

A ha, my pictures has been approved!

I must say it was rather quiet around here over the weekend, I suppose everyone was in the water!

Cheeky bugger that Mako!!! Still better the tail than your rear end hey...

Anyone in SA know how the travel situation is now in Angola (now that the war is over, more or less!!) ? sure would like to go back there soon and do some freediving + adventure.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT