• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi from darkest Hampshire

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi scoobydoo, welcome aboard. :)
I did some scuba diving in Horsea Island, Portsmouth.

Lucia

Hi Lucia

Thanks for the message, spent a few happy hours bimbling around Horsea as it's about twenty five minutes away. have you been at this free diving long?

Scooby:)

Welcome scoobydoo, my favourite cartoon character as a kid :) brings back a memory with a smile

Hi Scoobydoo, where are you? i am originaly Portsmouth Born and bred, now living in N.Cyprus, i used to spearfish around the harbour in my early years, 1970s. not the place for freediving though,cant see S+*T.

Peter.

Reactions: foxfish
I have been freediving in the pool for about 4 years now, as well as once in the SETT.

Hi Scooby:wave Is your interest purely SCUBA or does freediving/spearing figure into your interests?

Hi Guys

Kinda overwhelmed by the friendly welcome. I've had a look round the site and like what I see, downloaded the apnea trainer and had a few feeble attempts, but hey we all have to start somewhere right?

Some background I've been diving since 1990 and enjoyed every dive I've done. Being a bit of a purist,I prefer gliding to flying, freediving always appealed to me but it would have to be an aquired rather than a natural talent for me. In recent years a progressive, degenerative eye condition has left me with a severe visual impairment.

As I said I still enjoy scuba diving but it has it's difficulties, and my thoughts were maybe freediving was a potential alternative. So now I;ve come clean as it were, and throw the subject over to you guys for your comments and opinions. Is it possible , practical, sensible, no scratch sensible?

Be honest I've developed a thick skin over the years and would prefer the truth good or bad. I do have questions for some of you, but for now

Pastor- ROOBy ROOBY ROOO !!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Pastor- ROOBy ROOBY ROOO !!!!!!!!!

rofl well here you are

goobysnacksrough2.jpg

Some background I've been diving since 1990 and enjoyed every dive I've done. Being a bit of a purist,I prefer gliding to flying, freediving always appealed to me but it would have to be an aquired rather than a natural talent for me. In recent years a progressive, degenerative eye condition has left me with a severe visual impairment.

As I said I still enjoy scuba diving but it has it's difficulties, and my thoughts were maybe freediving was a potential alternative. So now I;ve come clean as it were, and throw the subject over to you guys for your comments and opinions. Is it possible , practical, sensible, no scratch sensible?
Maybe if you post questions in the Freediving sections, someone here will be able to help. :)

Hi Guys

Scooby, dive dive dive. I see you are a man of vision anyway being a bit of a purist and all. Beside that, it sounds like you can maybe teach some 'low vis' whiners to suck it up.

Edit: I should have said Freedive freedive freedive

Last edited:
... Being a bit of a purist,I prefer gliding to flying, freediving always appealed to me but it would have to be an aquired rather than a natural talent for me. In recent years a progressive, degenerative eye condition has left me with a severe visual impairment.
"prefer gliding to to flying":hmm -- strangely, I think I know what you mean. You should take up spearfishing: I reckon you'd prefer a band gun to a pneumatic;) Then again, with a visual impairment, perhaps that is not such a good idea. Then again, visibility is often less than 2m anyway!

It would be a bit pointless owning a mamba kitted air gun if you suffer from a "visual impediment" considering the far superior range of such a gun compared to a feeble "band" gun ;)

Reactions: Groupermadness
Belated hello, scooby :) Feel free to ask questions in any forum that you wish.

Hi guys

A couple of questions for you, I presume a reasonable fitness level is a pre requisite to free diving / apnea. That being a given what sort of times should someone the wrong side of 50 expect realistically? I have a best of 2:34 but recently average 2:06. These were done crashed out on a bed.
I have made a few pretty poor attempts using the apnra trainer, with a best of 126 seconds the table A CO2 runs seem relativly straight forward, but table B O2 seems to be blank am I doing something wrong?
Lastly do you know of any pools in Hampshire where I could train, all the local pools won’t allow the use of mask, fins etc.

Scooby
:confused:

Fitness is more important than age, and training is more important than everything else. Look into a Performance Freediving International clinic - they always end up with excellent results. Otherwise, browse the freediving threads on relaxation and breath hold techniques :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT