• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi from Perth, Australia

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Obelix

Nov 28, 2017
Hi to all from a new member in Perth, Western Australia :)

Mostly diving for Crayfish (spiny lobster) and sometimes spearfishing. Mostly between 8 and 12 meters.
Looking to learn and improve my diving technique, and get some useful advice on the equipment.

Regards Obelix

Reactions: Manny_OCF
Hi to all from a new member in Perth, Western Australia :)

Mostly diving for Crayfish (spiny lobster) and sometimes spearfishing. Mostly between 8 and 12 meters.
Looking to learn and improve my diving technique, and get some useful advice on the equipment.

Regards Obelix

Great to meet another Aussie! I'm on the other side in Sydney :)
Its great you are making use of the crayfish season. What gear have you got?

Great to meet another Aussie! I'm on the other side in Sydney :)
Its great you are making use of the crayfish season. What gear have you got?

Hi Manny,

Thanks and good to hear from you :)

If your question is about catching crays, I take crays by hand. Just snorkeling a few '00 m from the shore.

If it is a general fear question, nothing exciting... Cressi mask and Reaction Pro fins. Seac 5mm Wsrmflex suit, Seac Xfire 110cm speargun.
Looking to buy a set of long fins and a 3mm camo suit. Still researching what's available.

Yourself? Freediving? Spearfishing? Scuba?

Regards

Hi Manny,

Thanks and good to hear from you :)

If your question is about catching crays, I take crays by hand. Just snorkeling a few '00 m from the shore.

If it is a general fear question, nothing exciting... Cressi mask and Reaction Pro fins. Seac 5mm Wsrmflex suit, Seac Xfire 110cm speargun.
Looking to buy a set of long fins and a 3mm camo suit. Still researching what's available.

Yourself? Freediving? Spearfishing? Scuba?

Regards

I'm into freediving. haven't tried spearfishing yet
Sydney is good for it when the conditions are right, but the vis here is poor a lot of the time, especially in summer

are there actually a lot of great whites along the wa coast, or is it a bit of media hysteria?

It's the same here. A lot of sand movement (wind/tide) makes the water murky.
It's nice during reduced tide movement and Easterly winds.

WA South and South West Coasts have some nice rocky areas which are nice for diving.

We had 4-5 fatalities in recent years - so it is real.
Sharks are around everywhere - you just don't see them much while diving.
Sometimes I worry before I walk in, but once in, I don't think about sharks any more. I also always wear the SharkShield.

Sharks follow the whale migration in October/November/December after when there are less W Pointers around Perth.
A lot of Tiger Sharks active overnight, but they don't seem to bother people much around Perth.

Have a look here: http://www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity

The State Government placed a lot of shark detecting buoys, but have since bizarrely reduced funding for shark tagging so there is nothing to detect. Trust governments to waste our money like that :)

It's the same here. A lot of sand movement (wind/tide) makes the water murky.
It's nice during reduced tide movement and Easterly winds.

WA South and South West Coasts have some nice rocky areas which are nice for diving.

We had 4-5 fatalities in recent years - so it is real.
Sharks are around everywhere - you just don't see them much while diving.
Sometimes I worry before I walk in, but once in, I don't think about sharks any more. I also always wear the SharkShield.

Sharks follow the whale migration in October/November/December after when there are less W Pointers around Perth.
A lot of Tiger Sharks active overnight, but they don't seem to bother people much around Perth.

Have a look here: http://www.sharksmart.com.au/shark-activity

The State Government placed a lot of shark detecting buoys, but have since bizarrely reduced funding for shark tagging so there is nothing to detect. Trust governments to waste our money like that :)

wow, that shark shield is a great investment! Yeah 4-5 is too many.
I don't think there have been any fatalities around Sydney!
I don't worry at all about Sharks in Sydney, except for inner harbour, which is packed with bull sharks.

Stay safe in your travels! Winter time diving is usually the best anyways!

Reactions: Obelix
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT