• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi ,it there anyone can answer my question?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

shelly gu

Sep 29, 2016
hi ,i an shelly,a new divers.i never buy wetsuit before,now i want to buy one ,but i don't know if there is any problem about after sale service to current famous diving brand like the o'neil .

O'Neil may be prominent in wetsuits for surfing, but as far as I know they don't make serious diving wetsuits.

In general, I don't think there is much after market service for any brand of wetsuit. You better make sure it fits when you walk out the door of the dive shop. Perhaps if you order one custom made for you on line and it doesn't fit when it arrives, some manufacturers will let you send it back for adjustments, but you should be clear on that before you order.

Maybe if the seams start coming apart as soon as you use it, some brands and some shops will take it back.

You'd have to check the company policies. Some allow returns within a certain period of time, while others do not.

Of course, it is best to make sure you have the best suit for what you plan to do. O'Neill can be a decent suit for warm, shallow water, but you might need something different depending on your activities.

Hello,

Almost all freediving/spearfishing wetsuits differ from surf suits. Freedive suits are going to be a two piece (having separate pants and a top that usually is hooded). Also freedive suits are what are called open cell, meaning there is no fabric lining on the inside of the suit it is just neoprene. This makes the suit warmer and more comfortable than a comparable surf style suit that is closed cell (meaning it has a fabric lining on the inside of the suit).

As far as after sale service I am not sure. Like most others stated it is advised to look at sizing charts of the suit manufacturers and select one that fits your measurements. I just picked up a 5mm Suit from Cressi to use here in Michigan because the water is cold most of the year and only warms up a bit in late summer. I have been really liking it so far. Before this I was using a Quicksilver surf wetsuit. While that worked the Cressi freedive suit is warmer and more comfortable allowing easier mobility.

One company that I just found out about (after I ordered my suit) is a company called Ninepin Freediving. They are out of Australia and their prices are really good. I cannot speak to the quality of their suits but they look very nice. And they have free express international shipping. If I pick up another suit in the future I might give these guys a try

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions you can message me if you'd like

Happy diving

Adrian

O'Neil may be prominent in wetsuits for surfing, but as far as I know they don't make serious diving wetsuits.

In general, I don't think there is much after market service for any brand of wetsuit. You better make sure it fits when you walk out the door of the dive shop. Perhaps if you order one custom made for you on line and it doesn't fit when it arrives, some manufacturers will let you send it back for adjustments, but you should be clear on that before you order.

Maybe if the seams start coming apart as soon as you use it, some brands and some shops will take it back.
so you don't have any after sales service problem before since you start to dive right? and maybe the point is to try them on instead of online shop. :penguin::penguin::penguin:

Hello,

Almost all freediving/spearfishing wetsuits differ from surf suits. Freedive suits are going to be a two piece (having separate pants and a top that usually is hooded). Also freedive suits are what are called open cell, meaning there is no fabric lining on the inside of the suit it is just neoprene. This makes the suit warmer and more comfortable than a comparable surf style suit that is closed cell (meaning it has a fabric lining on the inside of the suit).

As far as after sale service I am not sure. Like most others stated it is advised to look at sizing charts of the suit manufacturers and select one that fits your measurements. I just picked up a 5mm Suit from Cressi to use here in Michigan because the water is cold most of the year and only warms up a bit in late summer. I have been really liking it so far. Before this I was using a Quicksilver surf wetsuit. While that worked the Cressi freedive suit is warmer and more comfortable allowing easier mobility.

One company that I just found out about (after I ordered my suit) is a company called Ninepin Freediving. They are out of Australia and their prices are really good. I cannot speak to the quality of their suits but they look very nice. And they have free express international shipping. If I pick up another suit in the future I might give these guys a try

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions you can message me if you'd like

Happy diving

Adrian
thanks you very much,the ninepin company looks very nice ,i gonna give a shot. Quicksilver sounds not a good brand to choose?

Quicksilver and O'niel are surfing wetsuits, usually too thin and not warm enough for diving. They usually have the goal of flexibility in mind,therefore they're unlikely to be warm but in a pinch they would be alright. Just don't go out and buy one unless you want to do some surfing! You can also get a decent diving wetsuit for the same price (sometimes).
On the after service; I guess it goes like this: If they screwed up the stitching or gluing, then they should replace it. However if the seams come apart by themselves after a few months, then you might have trouble getting them to cough up another, it is do able but there is usually a bit of an argument involved (this depends on how nice the wetsuit supplier is)!

Ninepin look pretty sweet (y)

Rock Shooter

I think Rockshooter pretty much summed it up. A wet suit isn't like a speargun where the trigger mechanism fails and causes you to shoot your buddy. All wetsuit rubber deteriorates over time and all wet suit seams open up over time. It's a very subjective thing to decide what is a defect.

Right now my 5 mm suit is coming apart after two years. The seams are about what I'd expect at this age but big cracks are opening up in the rubber and it's hard to patch all this cracks. I've been getting suits from this company for about 18 years.

Are they using different rubber? Or maybe it's because I've been using Simple Green to
clean it instead of the liquid dish soap I was using before? But I forget when I started using simple green. How long is a suit supposed to last anyway? Is it measured in years or dive trips?

I'm going to order another suit soon but I don't have the balls to tell them that the last one was defective. Maybe I'll ask them if Simple Green is hard on suits. They'll probably offer me a discount and I'll take it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rock Shooter
I think Rockshooter pretty much summed it up. A wet suit isn't like a speargun where the trigger mechanism fails and causes you to shoot your buddy. All wetsuit rubber deteriorates over time and all wet suit seams open up over time. It's a very subjective thing to decide what is a defect.

Right now my 5 mm suit is coming apart after two years. The seams are about what I'd expect at this age but big cracks are opening up in the rubber and it's hard to patch all this cracks. I've been getting suits from this company for about 18 years.

Are they using different rubber? Or maybe it's because I've been using Simple Green to
clean it instead of the liquid dish soap I was using before? But I forget when I started using simple green. How long is a suit supposed to last anyway? Is it measured in years or dive trips?

I'm going to order another suit soon but I don't have the balls to tell them that the last one was defective. Maybe I'll ask them if Simple Green is hard on suits. They'll probably offer me a discount and I'll take it.
why do you afraid your company this defect of clam ,it seem that it is big problem to got a nice and suitable wetsuit without defective:bear:

Quicksilver and O'niel are surfing wetsuits, usually too thin and not warm enough for diving. They usually have the goal of flexibility in mind,therefore they're unlikely to be warm but in a pinch they would be alright. Just don't go out and buy one unless you want to do some surfing! You can also get a decent diving wetsuit for the same price (sometimes).
On the after service; I guess it goes like this: If they screwed up the stitching or gluing, then they should replace it. However if the seams come apart by themselves after a few months, then you might have trouble getting them to cough up another, it is do able but there is usually a bit of an argument involved (this depends on how nice the wetsuit supplier is)!

Ninepin look pretty sweet (y)

Rock Shooter
thank you for reply .it sounded that the life of the wetsuit is very short:beaver:

thank you for reply .it sounded that the life of the wetsuit is very short:beaver:
Not necessarily, quite often preventative care is the way to go. If you look after it, it will look after you. The second you leave it the sun for too long, drag it on rocks or just don't wash it properly, will be the time it starts to deteriorate. Neoprene is a synthetic rubber so most of the time treat it like it.
As Bill said a lot of things are patchable/fixable on a wetsuit but eventually stuff wears out: buy cheap, by twice! ( not referring to you bill :) )

Cheers,
Rock Shooter

I use a solution made by Body Glove (One Shot) for washing my wetsuits, it has a silicon solution in it that helps protect the neoprene and gives it more life. Maybe simple green isn't the best product for washing neoprene.

I use a solution made by Body Glove (One Shot) for washing my wetsuits, it has a silicon solution in it that helps protect the neoprene and gives it more life. Maybe simple green isn't the best product for washing neoprene.

I used to use liquid washing machine detergent but then we started using the detergent pods. Maybe the Simple Green is bad for the suit.

Reactions: bombadil
Not necessarily, quite often preventative care is the way to go. If you look after it, it will look after you. The second you leave it the sun for too long, drag it on rocks or just don't wash it properly, will be the time it starts to deteriorate. Neoprene is a synthetic rubber so most of the time treat it like it.
As Bill said a lot of things are patchable/fixable on a wetsuit but eventually stuff wears out: buy cheap, by twice! ( not referring to you bill :) )

Cheers,
Rock Shooter
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:good advice,thanks lot!

I found this on divein2scuba.com.au:

F.A.Q. How Do I Wash, Care & Store My Wetsuit?

These days wetsuits are almost exclusively made from neoprene. This rubber material is flexible and provides an effective body hugging fit. Neoprene has tiny bubbles of nitrogen trapped into the material and this provides additional heat insulation and also assists with buoyancy. Although there are other some other materials that can be made into wetsuits, neoprene is the most popular as it combines flexibility, durability and affordability.

You should get into the habbit of washing all of your dive gear and particular your wetsuit after each dive. Doing this will remove the salt, sand, pee and debris that it comes in contact with when you use it. In addition it has been proven that regular and through cleaning will not only maintain and extend the life of your wetsuit but will also save you money down the track as well.

If your wetsuit smells it is probably because you didn’t wash it after your last session in the water or let it dry properly before you put it away. Wetsuits can get just as dirty as any other item of sports apparel and so they do need to be washed thoroughly after each use. It is a good idea to soak your wetsuit in some cold water or rinse it off with a hose first. Then use a quality wetsuit shampoo wash to soak your suit in. This will help to wash away any salts or chemicals that could degrade your neoprene. In addition the wetsuit shampoo's leave a special conditioning film over your neoprene that preserve the rubbers suppleness, stretch and softness. In addition the wetsuit shampoo wash will clean away any body oils, sweat and bacteria. It is this bacteria that makes your wetsuit smell if you put it away damp and unwashed.

In addition to giving your wetsuit a good wash you should also allow it to dry throughly before storing it away. When hanging your wetsuit to dry it should preferably be in a well ventilated area away from direct sunlight. Remember that your wetsuit is made from rubber and that prolonged exposure to the sun's harsh UV rays will result in the rubber drying out, loosing it's stretch and in sever cases even cracking. So avoid it.

If you are putting your wetsuit into storage for the winter then there are a number of ways you can help to make sure it is in good condition for the next season. Firstly wash and dry the suit thoroughly before you put it away. Either hang the suit up or lay it flat on a shelf. If you bend the suit the creases can become permanent so this must be avoided. Also keep the wetsuit away from direct sunlight or extreme temperatures as these can both cause the neoprene to degrade.

If you are putting your open cell wetsuit into storage for an extended period of time it is important to take a few extra steps. Open cell wetsuit can have issues with the open cell surfaces fusing if left stored incorrectly. In order to prevent this happening to your open cell wetsuit you should ensure that it is throughly washed and cleaned in the correct manner. Allow time for the suit to dry throughly. Then once it has been washed and dried correctly you need to dust the wetsuit with unscented talc. The talc will minimise the potential for fusing. To store the wetsuit leave your wetsuit the right way out. Do not hang the suit. Instead lie your wetsuit flat and do not fold it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT