• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hi

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Helen F H

Feb 3, 2006
Hello,

Im an invader from another forum, recently started freediving in the hope it would stop me going mad from lack of scuba diving. I got the bends last year whcih put me out of action for a while.

A friend reccomended i try freediving, got some fins second hand, dug out my semi-dry and went in last weekend and had a blast. Managing to get to 10m at St Abbs (southern Scotland, UK). Im working on my breath hold skills, and scared the pants off myself with a hold of 4.13 earlier today.

Any tips for an utter novice will be appreciated.

Helen

Hi Helen, welcome aboard!

I'm another UK freediver (a long way from Scotland though!).

If you are training in water it is very important to have someone with you at all times who has had safety training. There are pool training clubs in the UK, but I don't know of any in Scotland. There is more info on the BFA website:
http://www.britishfreediving.org/

There are lots of useful tips here on Deeperblue. The Beginner Freediving section is good.

Lucia :)

Hi Helen.... welcome to DB - I'm Donna from the 'other' forum!! :D

There is another forum?? Well, anyway, welcome to DB. You will find us a little spacy but quite helpful. Feel free to ask questions. Specific ones work best. Also, the "search" function is very useful in finding info you want. Congrats on that static, that is quite good.

Connor

Yeah, the "other forum" is Yorkshire Divers where i have an embarassingly large post count (7800 or thereabouts). I also write for www.travel-dive.com and trying to convince them that my journey into freediving is worth publishing :)

Hi Helen

Welcome to this crazy place! A hold of over 4m to start. Wow, think your talent was being wasted on Scuba ! :D

Jeff

bluecape said:
Hi Helen

Welcome to this crazy place! A hold of over 4m to start. Wow, think your talent was being wasted on Scuba ! :D

Jeff

Welcome to DB Helen, I have to agree with bluecape!!!

Said

I had a play with a monofin too - now that was *scary*! Strange thing is, im not exactly built for freediving at all. Think Dawn French and you are somewhere close :D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT