• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

high standard

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Fabio Toyama

Jan 2, 2004
My personal record is 5'28" (dry) but that was a while ago. Today it must be around 4'30".
I thought I had a reasonable apnea when I noticed that more than 50% of the people that participate in this forum have the static above 7'!!
I never did any specific training or diet to improve my apnea, but even with a proper preparation it seems a bit too much to be reaching 7' somewhere in my whole life.
Is that something really reachable?

the work of screwballs...

No Fabio. If you're looking at a pole, I can tell you that DB has been 'infected' with a mole. Probably some 37 year old college dropout, still living in his parents' basement. The bozo keeps deleting his cookies, so he can vote over and over. Everyone is very impressed :hmm. From what I gather, the average for the forum is probably in the 3.5 to 4.5 range. We can't all be an 'umberto' ;).

Ted

It's easy to 'know' that you cannot do something that you haven't done. It's impossible to know that you can do something that you haven't done, yet. The first belief is a recipe for a self fulfilling prophesy. The second is an argument for trying.
The best static man in the US removed my 25 year mental block (four minutes) with a short talk to the dive club. Why not start a program that you can live with for a long time, and see?
Aloha
Bill

Thanks for your reply. But I read quite a few people writting about their personal records of 6+, 7+..
Sorry about my ignorance but what does it mean PB?
Would you know any good heart rate monitor? Polar, nike,.. or any other with reliable measurements?
Thanks

Welcome to DB, Fabio, Your static is very respectable. You will see a lot of higher pbs posted, but realize that some of the best divers in the world post here. Learn a little of what they are willing to teach and you probably can do 7+ minutes, and in less time than you think. Good Luck.

Oh it's all about the time with you guys, ain't it?

I agree with both Bill and cdavis, Fabio.
While I'm in no way, shape or form a "diving for the numbers" kinda guy, I fully appreciate and understand that the same mental and physical excercise and training that allow some to seemingly go without breathing for days also benefits my time spearing, photographing and working. While I'm pretty good at what I do, (I think...) I spend a lot of time just out there doing it and listening to my body and reading up on Bill's accomplishments. These things by themselves have made my diving more enjoyable and probably lengthened the bottom times as well. I suggest doing the same with a partner(s) and see where it takes you.
I think you'll be one of many that benefit likewise.

Hi Fabio
PB - Personal Best
Heart Rate Monitors - Polar seem to be the best and most common, probably worth paying a bit more for one you can upload if you are going to invest in one.

Average statics - from the divers I know in the UK (quite a lot of them) I reckon 4 mins is a good standard for the men with the best guys doing 5 1/2 on peak days. For the women - anything over about 3 30 puts you in the top bracket in this country with most of the top gals between 4 and 5.

Average depths UK divers competing - top guys 40m plus, top gals 30m plus

just a rough idea...

let me know if you are interested in training with saltFree
we are always looking for new people

Sam

www.saltFreedivers.com

Good news
I'm starting to come back to my PB of 10 years ago which was 5'28"...
Last week I came back from work, lied on the floor and tried some statics. In my fourth one I did 5'08".
I still haven't started trainning yet. Hopefully with proper trainning I'll reach my PB and get to 6+ by the end of the year..
That's my goal for now.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT