• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

History of freediving

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Andyl

Nov 17, 2019
Hi guys, I’m researching freediving in the 1950’s particularly the first records of Italian divers Falco & Novelli in ‘51 and 56’. Any good books, threads, I could visit?

While you're at it, you might also want to research usage of the expressions "free diving" and "free diver" during the 1950s. The term "free diving" itself is just a translation of the French term "plongée libre", a coinage to distinguish all kinds of underwater swimming from standard diving with brass helmets, canvas suits, lead boots and surface air supplies. In the 1950s, therefore, "free diving" covered both breathhold and scuba diving. Note how these three books from that decade come with "free diving", or "free divers", in the title and with images of scuba divers on the dust cover!
511WL5l3nqL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
freedive.jpg
freediving.jpg

Incidentally, Albert Falco (pictured below wearing double-hose scuba gear and an early Beuchat Tarzan wetsuit) was French, not Italian. He is identified as a spearfisherman in Mascret Vianney's excellent doctoral thesis charting the history of recreational scuba diving in France and entitled L’aventure sous-marine. Histoire de la plongée sous-marine de loisir en scaphandre autonome en France (1865-1985), viewable online at https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/file/index/docid/839091/filename/TH2010_Mascret_Vianney.pdf.
Albert_FALCO.jpg

Last edited:
Take a look at a chapter of our beginners guide: https://www.deeperblue.com/history-of-freediving/
Thanks
While you're at it, you might also want to research usage of the expressions "free diving" and "free diver" during the 1950s. The term "free diving" itself is just a translation of the French term "plongée libre", a coinage to distinguish all kinds of underwater swimming from standard diving with brass helmets, canvas suits, lead boots and surface air supplies. In the 1950s, therefore, "free diving" covered both breathhold and scuba diving. Note how these three books from that decade come with "free diving", or "free divers", in the title and with images of scuba divers on the dust cover!
511WL5l3nqL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
freedive.jpg
freediving.jpg

Incidentally, Albert Falco (pictured below wearing double-hose scuba gear and an early Beuchat Tarzan wetsuit) was French, not Italian. He is identified as a spearfisherman in Mascret Vianney's excellent doctoral thesis charting the history of recreational scuba diving in France and entitled L’aventure sous-marine. Histoire de la plongée sous-marine de loisir en scaphandre autonome en France (1865-1985), viewable online at https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/file/index/docid/839091/filename/TH2010_Mascret_Vianney.pdf.
Albert_FALCO.jpg
Great insights, thanks. Do you have any more info / pics on Falco or Novelli? And how their partnership came about? Later The two divers teamed up with a third diver Cesare Olgjai (seen it spelt Olgiaj and Olgiaji) to reach 135 meter air assisted dive. Do you have any information about him? Correct name spelling for a start!

Thanks

Great insights, thanks. Do you have any more info / pics on Falco or Novelli? And how their partnership came about? Later The two divers teamed up with a third diver Cesare Olgjai (seen it spelt Olgiaj and Olgiaji) to reach 135 meter air assisted dive. Do you have any information about him? Correct name spelling for a start!
Thanks

Actually I think Albert Falco and Ennio Falco may actually be different Spearfishers. Albert was part cousteau’s famous French crew while ‘Ennio Falco’ is listed an Italian three times world record breaking free diver / scuba diva. Are we taking about two different divers?

Actually I think Albert Falco and Ennio Falco may actually be different Spearfishers. Albert was part cousteau’s famous French crew while ‘Ennio Falco’ is listed an Italian three times world record breaking free diver / scuba diva. Are we taking about two different divers?
Sounds like we are. The names Ennio Falco, Alberto Novelli and Cesare Olgjai don't resonate with me. Jacques Mayol is more of a name I know from the past but he was active during the 1970s. You might get more information about these Italian nationals from the journal of the Historical Diving Society of Italy, whose issues are available for free download at http://www.hdsitalia.org/hds-notizie.

Sounds like we are. The names Ennio Falco, Alberto Novelli and Cesare Olgjai don't resonate with me. Jacques Mayol is more of a name I know from the past but he was active during the 1970s. You might get more information about these Italian nationals from the journal of the Historical Diving Society of Italy, whose issues are available for free download at http://www.hdsitalia.org/hds-notizie.
Thanks - have been through them all and vet little. Only one article in fact which surprised me.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT