• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hold times are decreasing. HELP!!!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

TecDiver1990

May 30, 2015
Hey everybody. I'm relatively new to freediving (~4 months), and I've run into a bit of a problem. On Tuesday, I was just a few seconds shy of a 3 minute dry static (2:57). The past 3 days, I've barely been able to hit 1:20 before my lungs are screaming and a contraction almost folds me in half. I've recently started doing uddiyana bandha, and the only thing that feels any different physiologically is a bit of congestion in my upper chest and some post-nasal drainage. Anyone else ever experience something like this and any tips for getting past it? It's driving me mad. I quit smoking the same day I started freediving so I could get better. I've progressed from a 0:45 dry static to a 2:57, and it feels like it's just been ripped away. Any advice?

Without knowing how often and how long you practice, I may be off base here...but maybe it's time to take a break. I do simple CO2 Tables every other day...and if I'm not "feeling it", I stop and let it go for a day...I do walking "statics" and pool work the other days. Now, I'm no expert, but I as I gradually became more attuned to my body and learned to relax, I experienced ebbs and flows in my times. The lungs need a chance to heal from the smoking, and you might want to intersperse some walking "static drills" and off days into the mix. If it's not relaxed, it's not right. Incorporating Yoga into the mix, with the quitting smoking and the static practice might be causing your body some new tensions and stresses it's not accustomed to. Relax, take it easy and don't worry about the clock. Safe diving!

@John B Griffith Jr , thanks for your response. I usually run a dry CO2 table every day. Some days I'll do an accelerated table (i.e. 1 breath, hold for 1:00, repeat 10-12x) and then do some diaphragm stretching, some days I do a standard table. I try to do a walking apnea when I'm out and about, or whenever I'm working around the house. I also do some diaphragm stretching every morning when I wake up. I don't get wet as much as I would like because I haven't built up a network of buddies in the Atlanta area. When me any my one buddy do go to the pool, we do a wet max hold, followed by a wet static CO2 table, then we do some dynamic apnea.

I had initially thought I might be over training, but I was progressing really well and wasn't feeling off at all. One of the guys in a spearfishing Facebook group I'm in suggested I might have given myself a pneumothorax, but I'm not sure how I would've done that. The other thing my buddy here in GA suggested is that when you smoke, the cilia in your lungs become "paralyzed" and allow the gunk to build in your lungs, and when you quit smoking, the cilia eventually become active again and start to move all of the crud up and out of your lungs to restore normal lung function. This results in a cough and post nasal drainage that can last up to 6 weeks. The thing is, I can't figure why that would hurt my hold times.

Any tips for relaxing and ignoring the contractions, burning sensation, and panic/urge to breathe feeling that I'm having to deal with currently? The "panic-y" feeling is a new one, and the others are hitting WAY sooner than they were.

I would suggest that you come full-stop for a week. That's a little arbitrary, but here's my though process: I smoked a pack a day for 15 years. I quit. I sort of agree with your friend regarding the cilia...he's not correct from a biology perspective, but the sensations are right. Your lungs need time to heal; the entire lymphatic and respiratory system have to adjust to clean air. I would look into some vitamin and mineral supplements to help the body rebuild and heal. Like a newly healed cut on your knee, you don't want to push it too far, so you take it easy...Second; the panicky feeling. You know academically that there is no way you are going to get hurt when doing dry practice...and your buddy has you in the pool (he better be right there). So, why the panic? Stress and tension occupy the same area of the brain that panic and flight occupy...they are adrenal gland activators. So, let's go back to meditation, soft music, slow, rhythmic breathing exercises. Don't pack! Go with 80% fills and really concentrate on relaxing into the hold. As soon as you get the first contractions, exhale. Do very slow cycles, relaxed cycles of 6-8 just holding, letting go at contraction...do not time it. Just feel it. I want you to make note of what you feel when that contraction hits...and how you tense up, or relax...you need to take that feedback and analyse it. Your panicky feeling trigger should then be identifiable. Once you find the trigger, it becomes easier to avoid it, work through it. Best of luck and safe diving...and relax, relax, relax...no need to push right now...take it slow and easy!

Thanks @John B Griffith Jr I'm taking a week off now and I've started re-incorporating cardio training into my lifting sessions. I gave it a quick look see to try and identify my 'panic' trigger, and I think it's the burning feeling in my lungs. I'll be as chill as can be, then the lungs start burning and my mind starts racing. I'm not sure how to get around it. I'm supposed to go to Troy Springs for the first time next Saturday and I'm afraid I'm going to embarrass myself because my times are so bad right now. Is a dynamic apnea in the pool a good indicator of how deep you'll be able to dive?

I can't get to a level 1 course until August or September to learn better relaxation techniques, as well as better freediving techniques. I'm gonna go take Ted Harty's course.

Reactions: John B Griffith Jr
@TecDiver - Do a series of 6-8 breath holds. Fully relax between the holds for a period at least long as the holds were.
The first one should just be a warmup - just hold long enough to be uncomfortable for 15-30 seconds. Maybe the second one a warm up also - maybe a bit longer.
But for the remaining holds do this: push yourself way into the struggle; when you feel you just can't go any longer say to yourself "surely I can hold for 5 more seconds" - then do just that. Hey, your still OK. And now "surely I can hold for 4 more seconds". Just do it! Then "3" more - and then 2 more and then 1 more. DO IT DUDE! You just went 15 seconds past your "give up point". Count those seconds in your head or look at a clock. 5-4-3-2-1... 4-3-2-1...3-2-1...2-1...1
Think about this, breath holding does not actually hurt, it's just an urge which you need to become familiar with and learn to love. Would you rather someone hit you on the thumb with a hammer or would you prefer to hold your breath a bit longer. For me, I'd rather struggle through a breath hold than have my thumb smashed. Ever been in a car and had to pee but there was nowhere to stop? It can be a strong urge, but somehow you force yourself to not pee your pants. It is willpower.
So how do you over come the urge? Practice. After weeks/months of practice you will becomes very familiar with the sensations in your body and you will know when a breath hold is going to be good or bad. You get a feel for just how much air is in your lungs - maybe you inhaled too much and feel too "tight", or maybe you could have inhaled more. After a lot of practice you will become very in tune with the feelings in your body.
And part of being in tune is the feeling of the urge to breath. Again, it is an urge, not pain. Use your mind to "transform" this urge into a pleasant feeling - mid-over-matter. Just go with it and imagine that it feels good. What is the best physical feeling you have ever experienced? Use you imagination here. Well, as you progress through your breath hold and start to feel the urge to breath say to yourself "this feels awesome, I'm alive, I can feel the power in my awesome huge lungs, I'm having an o----m , I want to this to last forever !!!" Then make it last forever. After a lot of practice you become familiar with the urge and what it feels like to push into it. It can be dealt with and actually enjoyed!
An experienced breath holder can force themselves to the point of blackout. I think it is instructive for all freedivers to at least once try to push themselves to the point of blackout - it serves 2 purposes. One, it teaches you that yes indeed you can overcome the urge to breath and hold your breath a long time - and two, it introduces you to the feeling of what a blackout feels like - some get tunnel vision, ringing in ears, dizzy, bowels start to squirm. Of course this is not healthy, doing this once should be enough. When you black out you are at the point of starving your brain of oxygen. And of course NEVER do this in the water.

Having said all of the above, I also agree with with John Griffith - you can over train. If a breath hold session seems lifeless or you don't feel into it - just stop, rest for a few days.

Last edited:
Thanks @John B Griffith Jr I'm taking a week off now and I've started re-incorporating cardio training into my lifting sessions. I gave it a quick look see to try and identify my 'panic' trigger, and I think it's the burning feeling in my lungs. I'll be as chill as can be, then the lungs start burning and my mind starts racing. I'm not sure how to get around it. I'm supposed to go to Troy Springs for the first time next Saturday and I'm afraid I'm going to embarrass myself because my times are so bad right now. Is a dynamic apnea in the pool a good indicator of how deep you'll be able to dive?

I can't get to a level 1 course until August or September to learn better relaxation techniques, as well as better freediving techniques. I'm gonna go take Ted Harty's course.
You can't go wrong with Ted, bro! Relax, stay safe and see you in the Sea!

Hey everybody. I'm relatively new to freediving (~4 months), and I've run into a bit of a problem. On Tuesday, I was just a few seconds shy of a 3 minute dry static (2:57). The past 3 days, I've barely been able to hit 1:20 before my lungs are screaming and a contraction almost folds me in half. I've recently started doing uddiyana bandha, and the only thing that feels any different physiologically is a bit of congestion in my upper chest and some post-nasal drainage. Anyone else ever experience something like this and any tips for getting past it? It's driving me mad. I quit smoking the same day I started freediving so I could get better. I've progressed from a 0:45 dry static to a 2:57, and it feels like it's just been ripped away. Any advice?

static no more than 1 x a week tables no more than 2x a week slow down regression is whats happening slow down take a break.

I have a question regarding taking breaks from training. If you train for consecutive days and keep increasing your hold and you take a few days off do you lose what you worked up to? I'm new at this and I do my excercises daily.. I have taken two days off in a row and when I started back I felt sluggish. It felt like it took me four of five days to get back to what I as able to do. I guess it's mental thinking I won't be able to do as well when I start back over a break.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT