• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Holiday Destinations (help)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Anything else I can supply?

Connor

Thanks Connor, you’re a star!
One thing, when does the hurricane season start around the Cayman area?
As for anything else, well the air ticket would be nice…:):)

Western Caribbean can get storms the entire season, from about June10 through Nov, but there are two peaks, June 15-july15 and September 15-oct 15. Dates are approximate. Odds go down fast after oct 15

I hear the wheel wells on British Air are free, open seating in the fall, just a bit chilly. I can probably get my terrorist friends to give advice on how to get aboard. You could make it a training session for low 02 conditions.

Connor

Cape Town! Great cheap wine, hot white sand beaches and cool(sometimes cold), fish laden waters with well developed spearfishing infrastructure. Flights might be a tad pricey but you'll make up for it on the wine and accommodation.

Thanks once again Connor, so in between mid July and mid September ought to give us half a chance then.

X yeti, if this were an out and out spearo trip then South Africa would be right up there on the list mate.:)

podge I think if you look at travel brochures you will see how the prices adjust durring the hurricane season - how about Thailand then?

hiya theare is always easy option egypt and theare is still some good spots to freedive shallows with loots of live in water cheap flights clear waters.
if not philipines is really good option.

Between the Caribbean and Thailand my choice would have to be the Caribbean, I’ve been to few of the Islands before and always enjoyed it, not knowing to much about Thailand and it different area’s and only having a week to get adjusted it would seem like a bit to much of a risk.
Glowworm has mentioned Egypt and I think he’s looking into a couple of places over that way.
For me it’s still the Caribbean at the moment.

Reactions: DafyddRees
You're welcome, Paul. :vangry

I think I'll keep the dessert wines to myself. TAH! rofl

Spaggie my man, you know you’re a STAR!!! I would have thought that would have gone without saying.:king:king
May be we’ll shoot across to your neck of the woods and I’ll buy you a whole case of wine:friday, when are you going to be on holiday? How about coming with us? Don’t panic as I’ll make sure John doesn’t nick anything shiny that you might bring.roflroflrofl

I plan Bahama trips in September because I can cancel on short notice or get all the way home in 18 hours if needed (and still I've been caught by a storm that developed right on top of us). Also, the Western Caribbean is worse than the Bahamas in early and late season. I would not plan a trip to that area in September, coming from GB.

Early season is tricky. Some years there isn't a storm till August; sometimes several in June and July in the Western Caribbean. No way to tell. Next years prelim forecast is for a large number of storms, but when they come is anybodies guess. Early season storms tend to be small and fast moving, later they get bigger, much stronger, and move slower, more likely to ruin your whole trip. I think, if it was me, I'd split the difference and plan on arriving July1. Its still a crap shoot. A week earlier might be a lot cheaper, check McCoys rates.

Connor

Last edited:
Spaggie my man, you know you’re a STAR!!! I would have thought that would have gone without saying.:king:king
May be we’ll shoot across to your neck of the woods and I’ll buy you a whole case of wine:friday, when are you going to be on holiday? How about coming with us? Don’t panic as I’ll make sure John doesn’t nick anything shiny that you might bring.roflroflrofl

Podge, my big bad boy...:inlove I knew I'm still your cat's meeow, yes?
You've got to be all mine...meeow.... Stay away of that Connor Davis, meeow........Connor Davis is bad....meeow :blackeye

As for me coming over to Caribe or anywhere else, it's all up to the wifey. She's made up herself an idea that she's the boss and that she can keep me grabbing by the balls (literally)......rofl

Last edited:
Before we had the kids myself and Mrs Rogers travelled several times in April as that’s both of our birthdays, last year we had a fantastic trip to Granada but that was towards the end of May. Having never tried the Caribbean “out of season” and reading Connors thoughts we might have to think again? That and I’ve since been told that the family holiday will be at Tobago, again in May this year, so a double trip to the area might now be a none starter.
Connor thanks for your input with this, its helped alot, if we ever meet the beer is on me.:friday
I had a chat with Emma Farrell earlier today and she reckons Sharm el Sheikh would be worth a look, so we’re back to Egypt???
Anybody got any experience with “DECENT!!” hotels that have a house reef and that don’t just cater for honeymoon couples? I’ve had a quick look but there’s nothing like a bit of firsthand experience to get to the truth about an area.
Spaggie do have anywhere that you might know of around Sicily, again that’s not a romantic hideaway that would have a bit of reasonable diving? Not necessarily with a speargun but with a camera.
Thanks for your patience folks.:)

No worries podge, glad to help.

Ah Spaggie, have I got a trip you would die for. Bahamas inSeptember, 40 meter vis, big fish, 150 knots if wind, 20 meter waves. Just wait till I get my hands on you.

Connor

X yeti, if this were an out and out spearo trip then South Africa would be right up there on the list mate.:)[/QUOTE]

Podge, South Africa has a lot to offer apart some of the best spearing in the World. Capetown is stunning. the booze is cheap, the women are free and if you bump into my Dad the hangover is unshakeable :friday:friday:friday

X yeti, if this were an out and out spearo trip then South Africa would be right up there on the list mate.:)

Podge, South Africa has a lot to offer apart some of the best spearing in the World. Capetown is stunning. the booze is cheap, the women are free and if you bump into my Dad the hangover is unshakeable :friday:friday:friday[/quote]

Cheers Scott, mental note to self, try not to bump into Scott’s father.:friday:crutch:crutch

Yeti thanks for the links, I’ll have a look into it.:)

I have just booked 10 days in Sharm with the family, great deal with BA flights staying at the Iberotel Fanara which (reports say) has great stuff of the beach, is Ram Om El Sid area - but not been before so it may be hopeless! A friend of mine stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Sharm and really rated their house reef.

Was in Dahab last year and that was great, loads of different reefs to visit, all signed from shore and within a short cheap taxi ride. Or a slightly longer taxi ride (30 mins) to the Blue Hole which was sensational, we went early before the tour groups showed up.

I have just booked 10 days in Sharm with the family, great deal with BA flights staying at the Iberotel Fanara which (reports say) has great stuff of the beach, is Ram Om El Sid area - but not been before so it may be hopeless! A friend of mine stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Sharm and really rated their house reef.

Was in Dahab last year and that was great, loads of different reefs to visit, all signed from shore and within a short cheap taxi ride. Or a slightly longer taxi ride (30 mins) to the Blue Hole which was sensational, we went early before the tour groups showed up.

Shark El Sheikh eh, watch out for the sharks they p*** me off, they'll take an arm and a leg if they could!!

Goddam taxi drivers!!!

Aah, I do u gud deal my ferend! You from der engerland!

Ye, {*** off
Posted via Mobile Device

Shark El Sheikh eh, watch out for the sharks they p*** me off, they'll take an arm and a leg if they could!!

Goddam taxi drivers!!!

Aah, I do u gud deal my ferend! You from der engerland!

Ye, {*** off
Posted via Mobile Device

So you’re in a good mood this evening then, what’s up me old son? Young-un keeping you awake?:):):):)

My wife and I are off to Sharm at the beginning of February and chose the Iberotel Fanara as well. A lot of internet research suggested it was worth a try and had a fantastic house reef. Unfortunately all the shark business rather spooked my wife and she's threatened to hide all the freediving kit away so we can't take it with us. I've got two weeks to win her over with some delicate negotiations!

Ian.

Reactions: podge
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT