• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Holiday in Croatia???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

lazaruss

Jun 5, 2010
Hello
I'm going in this year to croatia, with my family. So, I looking for a intresting places with a sandy beaches (for my kids and wife), and good fishing grounds nearby. Maybe there was someone in vicinty of Jelsa example, or knows any others intresting places?

Laz

A friend of mine has just opened a guest house in Croatia, I thought you may be interested.

You can check them out on: Apartment Aromatica - Luxurious holiday apartments on the beautiful Croa

There are three luxurious apartments, all with stunning views of the clear blue Adriatic Sea. They can meet and greet you at Split International Airport and "whisk you to your beautiful sea-front apartment in less than 30 minutes".

There is also a dive centre near the apartments on the Dalmatian Coast. Please check their website: Venus Diving Web Site - Home.

Hope its useful.

Cheers
S-L

I've been all along the coast of Croatia and on many islands... sandy beaches exist, but they are rare. My wife (Croatian) doesn't like sandy beaches because she never grew up w/ them... finds them dirty.

I could be wrong, but I believe the spearfishing is better in southern Dalmatia nearer to Split/Dubrovnik. I only have experience spearfishing in Istria (Rovinj), and it's a challenge. But we almost always come back with something. Spearfishing in Adriatic does take a lot of skill and hard work... the fish are shy and like to run and hide.

They say around here 20-25 years ago it was much different/better hunting.

my friend architect is right....
another good place is the krk island....
as far as i know, the only places where you can find sandy beaches are svedo marek bay an baska [not the old baska]
if you are lucky, you can hunt some jackfish in svedo marek [saint markus bay]

Just stay away off Mali Losinj in mid September: Cmas Spearfishing World Championship there! :)

Reactions: spaghetti
went to Hvar for our honeymoon... just stunningly beautiful. I highly recommend it. :)

but did not hunt there, and did not see any sand... there are large rocks to sun yourself, and taking a refreshing swim while watching the reflection of the austere mountains in the mirror-still morning sea... priceless. :cool:

get there soon as possible, prices rise and apts fill quickly. ;)

Thx all for answers.

Vedrana, is Milna good places for resting for my child 2 years old? Is the beach there safety for very young girl( wihaut big,rocks)?

Reactions: Notorious
I'm sure you have already booked a place to stay and perhaps already have gone, but in case someone else is interested to know... here's my 2 cent review...

If you are a good spearhunter, and like going deeper (7-15m) You can have very good hunting in Rovinj around the islands. I know many people who come only to Rovinj every year specifically to hunt here.

Only thing, it is pretty much essential to have a boat... or a friend with a boat here. (I don't have a boat, but do have friends.) Perhaps you can rent one, I don't know.

Also, there are many many GREAT kid-friendly beaches in Rovinj... and many tourist sources say it's probably the most beautiful city in Croatia (aside from perhaps Dubrovnik at very southern tip). We rent apartments out of our house to families all summer, Villa Daly Apartments Rovinj ... 3 bedrooms each floor. (2 floors = 2 different apartments)

The big fish are quite shy in summer (they move out fast when they see anything big in the water less than 4m deep), but I did get a good seabass last summer in shallow water... but mostly they go deeper and can be found in medium or strong currents.

Last edited:
If you are a good spearhunter, and like going deeper (7-15m) You can have
The big fish are quite shy in summer (they move out fast when they see anything big in the water less than 4m deep), but I did get a good seabass last summer in shallow water... but mostly they go deeper and can be found in medium or strong currents.

It's true. sometimes it is very difficult to catch a nice fish. generally quite timid. Larger fish is more cautious.

Since I made my post above, I have found out that there are boats for rent available around here at a very reasonable price.

One couple came here from Switzerland this summer and rented a boat for 5 hours for something like 75Euro (I forget exact number, but it was very reasonable like this)... it was not a large boat, but something one could reasonably use to hunt the islands around here.

There are better and much better boats for hire of course.

are there FADS in croatia?

I would love to hunt Mahi Mahi (Lampuga) and Tuna there this year

You can find schools of lampuga in southern part of Croatia during autumn.
Just follow large schools of needlefish in the early morning or in the late evening.
I would also recommend bonito (palamide) amd amber jack (gof).

Tuna (and swordfish) is strictly prohibited for spearing.
The only way you can go for tuna is in competition, but you would need special licence.

I would strongly advise to have at least more important gear with you on your arrival to Croatia.
Local shops have rather limited choice and for any delivery from Europe you'll be paying 40-50% of the price of goods on the top - VAT, customs charges for imported goods.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can find schools of lampuga in southern part of Croatia during autumn.
Just follow large schools of needlefish in the early morning or in the late evening.
I would also recommend bonito (palamide) amd amber jack (gof).

Tuna (and swordfish) is strictly prohibited for spearing.
The only way you can go for tuna is in competition, but you would need special licence.

I would strongly advise to have at least more important gear with you on your arrival to Croatia.
Local shops have rather limited choice and for any delivery from Europe you'll be paying 40-50% of the price of goods on the top - VAT, customs charges for imported goods.

yes, tuna and swordfish are prohibited for spearfishing.

there are adecuate choice in local shops, but you mus know where to go shoping.

Do you know the rules in Montenegro regarding tuna?

and is there a cheap dive store in Dubrovnik?

tuna is alowed in montenegro. in dubrovnik no, but in split there is many good shops for spearfishing equipment.

Freediving - Island Hvar 25.07. - 20.08.2011.

image.gif

If someone is interested :friday

Vedrana

Yes, there is shop in old city of Dubrovnik, inside one of the narrow streets.
However, it is anything but cheap, but it is good to know there is a shop should you need something. Dubrovnik itself is not cheap place for tourists.

Another nearest shop that I know of would be in town of Korcula. It is called Orca and it is also not that cheap (but it is ok I guess and they can order something for you, should you have a time to wait for delivery).

I do not know of any other shops south of Split (and it is really south of Split that you'll find Lampuga in late September).

For licence and regulations, see this thread:

Croatia: spearfishing licence 2009.

Again, licence is rather difficult to get, if you do not know exactly where to look - in southern Croatia that is.
I know for sure you can do it in Dubrovnik, Korcula and Ploce.
Licence forms are distributed from Rijeka (in NW). It happened to me few times that they did not have the form in the local office and I had to wait until package with licences arrived three days later. Obviously, if you are not in Korcula or Dubrovnik, you have to make a trip over there. Some of these guys work only 9-12, so if you turn up too late you'll have to come back another day.
Some of the guys are not in the office even 9-12 - they might be fishing, or in the fields or attending some other business - so phone number is really helpful.

I am not criticising anyone, I am merely pointing that, if not prepared, you could be wasting half of your holiday just chasing the licence. Even when you get all the information, it might prove not to be straight forward.

If you are really lucky, you might find that some local club has few licences available.

This is very useful if you happen to be in the Korcula area -
spearfishing club is called "Kanjac" and the mobile number of guy who can sell you licence is 0917946646.
You also need to know good fishing spots, otherwise it might be just waste of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I made my post above, I have found out that there are boats for rent available around here at a very reasonable price.

One couple came here from Switzerland this summer and rented a boat for 5 hours for something like 75Euro (I forget exact number, but it was very reasonable like this)... it was not a large boat, but something one could reasonably use to hunt the islands around here.

There are better and much better boats for hire of course.

Do you not need some sort of a licence to hire a boat? I am planning to go to the island of Krk regularly over weekends and I am trying to find out where the best place woud be for a day and a half of hunting (Saturdays and Sunday mornings).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT