• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

"Holistic Freediving"

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

newd341

Jul 12, 2011
Ok all of us probably know that Eric Fattah is an amazing freediver inventor and innovator. Has anyone ever read his book "Holistic Freediving"? Is it worth the $95

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the table of contents it promises to be an interesting read. I am sure that most of us could learn something from it. However I am familiar with at least half of the content and have quite some other books about training methods. This one however is specific about freediving training and therefore it certainly has my interest.
I can't help to think that $95 is really expensive for an ebook of merely 80 pages!
I understand that Eric Fattah needs to make an income and has invested a lot of time and effort in it but nonetheless I think the price is way too high for the content offered. A printed book of 150 pages , with mainly Original content, below $50 would be more attractive to me. I hope he can find a way to expand on what he already has and offer it in a more attractive format.

My copy is ordered. The number of pages is irrelevant. If he can express his insights, based on his vast experiance and experimentation, the book will be worth far, far more than he is asking. I've followed Erics efforts for years, expect that there will be a lot of value, that I'll have to read it 10 times before I can see much of it, and I don't expect to have the fortitude to actually follow his training regimes. Eric's writing is kind of like Sebastion Murat's. There is a whole lot there, but it takes a while and some experimentation to see it. The value to me of getting a better handle on how to train DR in particular is far greater than the purchase price.

After I've read it once, I'll post some thoughts.

First of all, I am obviously biased as I know Eric personally, and write 90% of the content on Freedive Wire. Therefore, I hope cdavis and others will give their 2 cents once they have had a chance to use the methods in the book.

I am connected to a university and have access to most scientific journals. I often scour them for information on breath hold diving and other specific sports training to see if there is information I can use. I like to think I am fairly well informed. However, when I read Eric's book there was lots and lots of new content for me, material that I had never seen or thought of before. I agree with cdavis that the price is fair for the content, but I understand that some people will feel it is too expensive. Eric likes to think of the book as an e-course, that should be accompanied by e-coaching. When you consider that he has coached Branko Petrovic, William Trubridge and many others, the results speak for themselves.

I was another one that had a double eyebrow raise: First one for a potential great book (as most seem to agree); the second for the price... not saying it isn't worth it but I might have to keep the mystery alive for a while :D

Eric likes to think of the book as an e-course, that should be accompanied by e-coaching.

Question for me would then be if i can really get that much benefit out of it without having his(?) additional coaching!?

The book keeps no secrets, so it can be used as a stand alone manual. I have never had Eric's coaching but I have definitely benefited from the techniques in his book. You can download a sample from Freedive Wire to see if you are interested in the content of the book only.

@Jaap Is this a hard copy or a PDF document (just asking to calculate if shipping is required) ?

It is a PDF. Eric normally asks for a PayPal or wire transfer and then e-mails it, so there is no extra cost except perhaps a currency conversion fee.

Reactions: xbuster
Got mine and have had some time to digest part of it. There is a lot here

To the question, is it worth the price? Depends on what kind of diver you are. If you are a new diver, and/or not really into making the most of your diving or delving deep into the physiological why, its not for you. If you are like me, moderately knowledgeable, very interested in the why and how to adapt the experts knowledge to my kind of diving and training, its worth far more than its purchase price. If you are a serious competitive diver, you'd be a damn fool to be without it.

I think Eric has done it again: taken what is viewed as gospel in the freediving world, analysed it, figured out what is wrong, why, and how to fix it. The guy just blows me away.

Connor

Last edited:
I have it and I think it's a great book. Explains why and how to organise training. Gives an inside look in training methods and explains why you should do it the way he says you do it. It was worth every penny given for it.

Reactions: xbuster
Ok looks like the verdict is in. I'm going ahead and making the purchase! I want to be the best spearfisherman I can be.

Older thread but I bought this last year - it's worth every penny and more. In my view, this kind of wisdom based on years of experience is virtually priceless. The book can accelerate your training results and save you years of chasing less effective training methods.

I will mention is that his training methods are actually quite similar in philosophy to Eastern European athletic training and strength training protocols. In particular, the famed track and field coach Anatoliy Bondarchuk uses a system that classifies exercises by how specifically they mimic the sporting activities in order to improve the "transfer of training" to the sport. In the strength world, Pavel Tsatsouline has written about Eastern European strength protocols that involve frequent but (very important) non-exhaustive training sessions. Eric appears to have stumbled on to the same insights in developing protocols for freediving training - more frequent and non-exhaustive methods that maximize the transfer of the training effect to actual diving performance. Plus many "tips and tricks" to further support the core training methods. I hope he writes more books!

With all due respect to Eric and his tremendous work, from a plain business point of view, the pricetag of 95$ is just too much for today's (freediving) standards. I think if the price was, for example, 49$, there would be certainly more than twice the interest. Not to mention that the paper edition would be great as well. The "exclusivity" which was surely justifiable 6 years ago, when the book was just out.
I think that lowering the pricetag would benefit both the author and the community as well. Just my humble opinion. Cheers.

Reactions: xristos
Hi,anyone knows where i can find the book/Cant find it anywhere

As someone who has read the ‘book’ thoroughly I can not recommend it. It is worth reading but it remains grossly overpriced for what it is.

I think the new book Specific Training for Freediving by Umberto Pelizzari contains much more useful content. It is not perfect either and his writing style may not be the best but the actionable information and his modern views can really improve your training. Much more than the above mentioned essay.

As someone who has read the ‘book’ thoroughly I can not recommend it. It is worth reading but it remains grossly overpriced for what it is.

I think the new book Specific Training for Freediving by Umberto Pelizzari contains much more useful content. It is not perfect either and his writing style may not be the best but the actionable information and his modern views can really improve your training. Much more than the above mentioned essay.
i have that one,it is great

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT