• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Hood squeeze and equalization problems

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

sanjuandive

Jan 13, 2020
Hi all, I know there are many forums on this already, but I've read them all (I think!) and tried everything I can think of.

I got a new open cell suit, Yazbeck 7mm, and first dive I couldn't equalize at all. So I read a bit and melted/burned in some holes over my ear. That helped, but feels really weird having cold water come in every time, and I still had a lot of problems with hood sqeeze ( I think that's what it's called?) and equalization was very inconsistent. I glued in two layers of fabric over my year extending to the face seal, again this helped, but still makes me feel nauseous after about 20 minutes in the water. My ears and sinus hurt after about six dives, equalization is so so on most dives, I stop as soon as I can't equalize so there's something else going on. On the top in swell my ears start to hurt almost immediately.

I currently have three holes over each ear, and two layers of fabric. I'm lost for further options, I need to be able to hear on the surface, so ear plugs or cotton aren't options (unless you can hear through the plugs).

I've never had a problem equalizing before this, I just wore a 7mm scuba hood that fit well, but not as tight as my yabeck suit. I'm thinking of cutting off the hood on the yazbeck and just using the old hood because I think I'm going to hurt myself wearing this suit.

I'm also tongue tied and can't frenzel equalize well, I rely on no-hand equalization or whatever it's called. I think it's similar to frenzel but you don't force your middle ear open with pressue. or something. Dunno if that makes a difference, but maybe that's why I am having such much of an issue.

And advice or help would be appreciated! I've been really frustrated and barely able to dive for the last two months. The water here is lower 40s below the thermocline, so I can't really go back to my old scuba summer suit until, well, summer!

Thanks!

I think the best answer would be to practice or seek out some training on frenzel. if the hood is just way too tight then that might cause an issue too

Hi all, I know there are many forums on this already, but I've read them all (I think!) and tried everything I can think of.

I got a new open cell suit, Yazbeck 7mm, and first dive I couldn't equalize at all. So I read a bit and melted/burned in some holes over my ear. That helped, but feels really weird having cold water come in every time, and I still had a lot of problems with hood sqeeze ( I think that's what it's called?) and equalization was very inconsistent. I glued in two layers of fabric over my year extending to the face seal, again this helped, but still makes me feel nauseous after about 20 minutes in the water. My ears and sinus hurt after about six dives, equalization is so so on most dives, I stop as soon as I can't equalize so there's something else going on. On the top in swell my ears start to hurt almost immediately.

I currently have three holes over each ear, and two layers of fabric. I'm lost for further options, I need to be able to hear on the surface, so ear plugs or cotton aren't options (unless you can hear through the plugs).

I've never had a problem equalizing before this, I just wore a 7mm scuba hood that fit well, but not as tight as my yabeck suit. I'm thinking of cutting off the hood on the yazbeck and just using the old hood because I think I'm going to hurt myself wearing this suit.

I'm also tongue tied and can't frenzel equalize well, I rely on no-hand equalization or whatever it's called. I think it's similar to frenzel but you don't force your middle ear open with pressue. or something. Dunno if that makes a difference, but maybe that's why I am having such much of an issue.

And advice or help would be appreciated! I've been really frustrated and barely able to dive for the last two months. The water here is lower 40s below the thermocline, so I can't really go back to my old scuba summer suit until, well, summer!

Thanks!

To start, hands free is fine and will serve you well. Don't change that. I know many divers who dive hands-free in all sorts of conditions and manage depths up to 90m. I know 'of' a diver whos done 122 hands free w/mask, so there's "no" limits with this technique.

Next,

I find holes in the hood to be extremely unreliable and annoying becuase you end up with thermocline water in your hood. The best option is to fully flood your hood manually each time you start a dive. It's as easy as slightly lifting the part beside your ears and will become automatic after a few sessions. This way, you can be sure there's absolutely no air trapped in there to mess up you EQ.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT