• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hoodless wetsuit

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

noa

Oct 17, 2003
Got this problem, i don't like hoods. i preffer to be colder than dive with a hood (unless the water is really cold) as it feels very uncomfortable for me . i was wondering if someone knows how much heat i loose by not using a hood. i've heard all sorts of numbers but remain confused. is a hood really a must or can one be happy without it (i'm not unhappy, just colder).
delphicly, Noa

Hi Noa

It's hard to say how much heat is lost through the head if you don't wear a hood. As you say there are many theories and some people seem to be able to dive without one in pretty cold conditions.

My mate Chas sometimes doesn’t use one in 11-12 degree water (which would freeze my brain in a hurry:) )

When I first started freediving, I used a semi dry wetsuit with no attached hood and I got really cold, even though I wore a separate 5mm hood.

The biggest problem was the way the water entered my suit through the neck. This flush of cold water on every ascent and descent negated much of the effect of the wetsuit.

If the water was warm enough, this would be a minor issue but even in 21-degree water, I was very cold after an hour or so.

If you could get a wetsuit with a really effective neck seal that didn’t allow the water to flush through the suit on every dive, then you would probably be Ok.

I think you would have to be careful to make sure that the neck seal wasnt too tight.

Cheers

Ash

Hi Noa,

Welcome to DB. A hood is not a must in most water, but it all depends on your personal cold tolerance, so I can't answer for your conditions. What is sure is that heat loss through the head and neck is very large. I don't remember the statics, but it must be on the order of 20% plus of total heat loss. I don't like wetsuits and often dive with only a fairly loose hooded vest in warm waters. Even with a poor fit, it makes a huge difference in my comfort level after a couple of hours.

good diving

Connor

noa

Effective neck seal is the Key.
I was looking last days a MARES jumpsuit mono. Nice suit but
I dont know if water flush through the suit.
If you know a suit with great neck seal tell me.

picasso equinox

I also prefer not to wear a hood. I think they feel clamy and restrict equalization a bit. I wear this suit in water warmer than 70 degrees F (21 C). The inside is regular open cell (no coatings). The neck seal works quite well, just make sure you have a clean shave. There is one, significant CON to the suit. The zipper is total junk. The zipper 'stop' at the top near the neck is not there :confused: (it will fly right off the suit if/when you pull it 'too' hard), and the mechanism itself is made of cheap plastic (mine already shattered). Fortunately, these were both easily remedied. I made my own zipper stop by sewing/aquasealing the zipper 'track' to the top of neck.....works fine. As for the zipper, I took the shatterd piece to a sewing store [shiver of fear and disgust] and had the nice lady lead me around until we found a new one. It was all a bit of a pain, but at least I have my suit back.

Ted

*edit 1 [re: jon] :eek:
*edit 2 [re: sven's inevitable comment]

Last edited:
Nice shot Ted.;)

Does your better-half know that her left breast is now on the internet?rofl You know how she is about the internet.:D

Jon

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT