• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Horizontal vs Vertical

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Sowlight22

Oct 13, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I know this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but can anyone tell me: What is the correlation between horizontal and vertical distance? For example, if I can swim 25m along the bottom of the pool, then will I be able to dive to a depth of 10m and back?

Hi Everyone,
I know this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but can anyone tell me: What is the correlation between horizontal and vertical distance? For example, if I can swim 25m along the bottom of the pool, then will I be able to dive to a depth of 10m and back?
Yes, most likely you will - but also depends on your ability to clear your ears. 10 meters isn't very hard - but have a buddy with you.

Also, psychologically, when swimming horizontally, you know you can, in case of something going wrong, swim to the surface pretty quickly. Just make sure you tell yourself it is the same.

Thanks Mark,
I just wanted to know if doing something like that would enable me to dive somewhere like the Great Barrier Reef, which apparently has most of its life at 10m down.

You will notice a bigger difference if doing CNF as the equalisation gets in the way of your stroke, unless you can do hands free......... I cant ;)

I dove to depth the first time the other day 10m actually and found that equalizing threw me off my "game" at first. Once I had a few dives down for the day, I was able to easily equalize all the way down and enjoy my bottom time.

I'll note though that the urge to breathe plays a different story in your head at depth than it does in shallow water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll note though that the urge to breathe plays a different story in your head at depth than it does in shallow water.

Also consider that you actually need less oxygen at depth because of the higher oxygen partial pressure. So there's a physical reason you feel more comfortable at depth. Unfortunately the same effect is responsible for shallow water BO during ascent.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT