• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How can I get more air in my lungs?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

skarz

Rasta Freediver
Mar 4, 2004
Hey, i was wondering how i can hold my breathe for longer underwater! i've tried running and some workouts, but there hasn't been much improvement. I can stay under for almost 40 seconds, but when i'm physically working, like swimming around the whole time, i can only stay for about 30 seconds, or a little less. Any suggestions? I'm also VERy new to free-diving, so if there are techniques or training stuff i could use to start, that would be much appreciated

Reactions: thud and donmoore
Two suggestions, neither needs to get fancy.
1. Learn to relax while diving. Think about relaxing every muscle when you are under. Relaxation is key.

2. Practice holding your breath on land (dry static). Do a series of 4 or 5 breath holds with about two minutes between holds, whatever is comfortable. You will see your hold times go up fast. You are teaching your body to operate under low 02, hi co2 conditions. This will help a lot when you get back to the water.

Have fun

Reactions: thud
Alright, im going to start dry statics now. Here's my question. how often should i be doing this a day? Is it pushing your body if i do like 10 holds, 5 times a day or something? We go up to our lake properties almost every day in summer, so im hoping to work on some dives there. Only problem is, im 15, no money, so all i have is some U.S. Divers snorkel, mask, and fins. Our lakes are spring fed, so i go down 10 feet and your body feels numb! So is "static' holding your breathe underwater??

Reactions: donmoore
Skarz:

I recommend you to look for a Freediving Club an to know freedivers with experience. This is the best manner you will learn the basics on security, improve your dives and meet buddies to freedive with no risk.

See you in the Blue,

Bluehugh

Reactions: thud and donmoore
Skarz,
Try reading all the beginner freediving threads too. There is so much too learn and improve with.
Steve

Reactions: donmoore
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT