• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How can I increase resistance to the cold?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks for replying - I'm glad to know that supplements make a difference. I would be interested to know the name of the supplement.

I am taking iron tablets which are not supposed to cause stomach aches, and so far they haven't caused any problems. In the past I have always felt ill after taking iron tablets, but maybe it was the type of iron.

Lucia

A doctor once told my Mother that drinking milk to wash down iron supplements was a no-no as it inhibited absorption. However citrus juices, pineapple juice or lemon as you mention actually helps.

Adrian

I have been making an effort to keep fit and it has made a huge difference to my cold tolerance. I stayed for 1 1/2 hours in a not very warm pool, with a baggy 3mm suit, not moving around much and I wasn't cold at all. I could have stayed a lot longer. Now for the ultimate test - freediving outdoors in the UK. I'll see how it goes...

Lucia

Reactions: commonerg
Glad that you got it worked out Naiad. I have had the same problem recently. I thought it was just my low body-fat, but after reading this, I'm going to get my blood checked. Perhaps my problem is also nutritional. :mad:

The arctic swimmer Lewis Pugh was in the news last week when he set new 1km & 1 mile records. Apparently he has this problem licked -- his body now starts heating up at the sight of cold water:

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2005\12\23\story_23-12-2005_pg9_3

"...has astounded scientists with his ability to raise his body temperature before swimming, allowing him to survive temperatures that only a few can endure. reuters"

Flags-Sponsor.jpg

More at:
http://swimming.about.com/od/openwaterswims/a/pughantarticasw.htm

Hi Naiad,
Hope you are feeling better now -- although sounds like you are still wearing a wetsuit in the pool.

Having been the USA for several years I am not so familiar with the metric weights and heights -- so forgive me if this is way off base. From your stats though, you sound like you have a Super Model / catwork build - tall and slim. As you say, you probably don't have much bodyfat to insulate you & your vital organs. [Also, watch out for Rod Stewart ;)]. For comparison, I am about 4" taller but roughly twice your weight.

This is not aimed at you but as a general point, as we are almost on the subject, I believe people with anorexia often feel the cold much more than others. Not just due to lack of body fat but due to a slowing of the metabilism, presumably to preserve energy. Anorexia is very dangerous.

Anyway, a big, hot curry, some lardy cakes and a hot toddy should do the trick! ;)

Warning: I am not a physician, nor have I played one in a television soap opera.

commonerg said:
Glad that you got it worked out Naiad. I have had the same problem recently. I thought it was just my low body-fat, but after reading this, I'm going to get my blood checked. Perhaps my problem is also nutritional. :mad:

Ditto. Got me thinking too. I also have low body fat and figured that was the problem. I just read up a bit about the symptoms for anemia. Sounds like me for sure. 5 minute naps turn into 5 hours for example.

I changed my diet over a year ago because I always felt like crap. I cut out fast food all together and way down on sodas. Mainly drink OJ and water now as well as eating more veggies. Also, cut out fried foods. This did seem to improve my condition in some ways but maybe I need to go a step further. I'm making an appointment Mon. and try to see the doc.

Last edited:
when i was younger and icefishing i could fish without gloves in-20c
with no problems(10year-19year)then i started smoking and warm hands were gone now 16years later i stopped smoking and hopefully get my warm hands
back...
take cold showers but dont take them to the shivering point
increase cold during showertime but always like you feel comfortable
its not fast way but why should we always hurry
test it some of my friends do that(me too)and some of them go
take swim in a hole at ice ,but i dont like it
because my ancles are in pain in so cold water(1-2c)178cm 65kg

Mr. X said:
The arctic swimmer Lewis Pugh was in the news last week when he set new 1km & 1 mile records. Apparently he has this problem licked -- his body now starts heating up at the sight of cold water
Amazing! I start shivering at the sight of cold water. :D

Seriously, I didn't know it was possible to control body temperature!

Mr.X said:
Having been the USA for several years I am not so familiar with the metric weights and heights -- so forgive me if this is way off base. From your stats though, you sound like you have a Super Model / catwork build - tall and slim. As you say, you probably don't have much bodyfat to insulate you & your vital organs. [Also, watch out for Rod Stewart ;)]. For comparison, I am about 4" taller but roughly twice your weight.

This is not aimed at you but as a general point, as we are almost on the subject, I believe people with anorexia often feel the cold much more than others. Not just due to lack of body fat but due to a slowing of the metabilism, presumably to preserve energy. Anorexia is very dangerous.

Anyway, a big, hot curry, some lardy cakes and a hot toddy should do the trick! ;)
Yes, I am tall and slim. :thankyou

This is not because I deliberately lose weight - I have never been on a diet. Although it sounds great to eat anything and never gain weight, it has its disadvantages. I am too thin for surviving cold water, and there's not much I can do about it. Part of the reason is that I eat much less than average people, I don't know why. Low metabolic rate maybe? :confused:

Maybe that's why I'm better at static than dynamic.

Food... diving makes me hungry...

take a P in your wetsuit and it will give u a warm boost...that what i do while spearfishing in cold waters....but in your case...being in the pool, it is not a good idea to do it...

eat some sweets or a diet that can increase your energy...
check your wetsuit...any leak?

get a thicker wet suit...2 pieces.

your head is the part that loses heat most...make sure that your hood is doing its job.

Reactions: Mr. X
naiad said:
This is not because I deliberately lose weight - I have never been on a diet. Although it sounds great to eat anything and never gain weight, it has its disadvantages. I am too thin for surviving cold water, and there's not much I can do about it. Part of the reason is that I eat much less than average people, I don't know why. quote]

I know totally what you mean, no picnic to be super thin and eat whatever you want. Take a look around at some specialty swim stores in your area. The better ones will have something called swim skins, usually only .5mm thick, easy to wear under something. For me (same cold problem) it just kept my core a little warmer and took my mind off the temp of the water.

Reactions: naiad
Does getting cold have a temporary effect on fitness? Yesterday I got cold in the pool, then the showers were cold and I had to wait at the bus stop for a long time afterwards. Today I went to the gym and everything was too difficult! My HR was 183 and I got too tired very soon. I have noticed this effect before, but never as much as today.

Lucia

Sounds like a mild case of hypothermia. Lie in a hot bath for a while, it does take a while for the body to heat up again if you have hypothermia

I'm no expert - but I'm thinking carbos - maybe a few more the day before. If I were in your shoes I'd consider seeing a Traditional Chinese Medicine doc if you can find a good one. They are good with subtle constitutional stuff. Getting cold does spend some resources for sure.

Lucia i'd suggest that you were tired because we ended up doing quite a few laps last night, many more than other dynamic sessions we've had. I woke up this morning feeling a lot slower than usual.

I think it's more than likely a combination of factors. As you said earlier you don't eat very much, but you have 2 apnea sessions a week and you go to the gym quite often. I'd guess that your calorie intake is not keeping up, plus you might still be a bit anaemic. Write down what you eat and how much for a week's worth and take that to a natural therapist, they will tell you what you're lacking in. I'd guess not enough red meat and not enough carbs.

When I was at College years ago a couple of us were sick of the usual fatty crap food so we requested the "steamed" diet. This consisted of steamed chicken for the whole term. We were all so deprived of iron we couldn't get through the day without a nap, and were constantly tired throughout the day. When i'd go home and get stuck into the steaks for a few weeks I would be back to normal.

See you Thursday!

I did do quite a lot. :D

I do need to eat more, probably more carbs. I was anaemic some time ago, because I was a vegetarian for a few years. Now I do eat red meat, and I got tested a few months ago and I'm not anaemic any more. I was very happy to know that!

Eating more is always a good thing. :)

MKDVR said:
Ditto. Got me thinking too. I also have low body fat and figured that was the problem. I just read up a bit about the symptoms for anemia. Sounds like me for sure. 5 minute naps turn into 5 hours for example.

I changed my diet over a year ago because I always felt like crap. I cut out fast food all together and way down on sodas. Mainly drink OJ and water now as well as eating more veggies. Also, cut out fried foods. This did seem to improve my condition in some ways but maybe I need to go a step further. I'm making an appointment Mon. and try to see the doc.

Got the blood test today. Came back negative for anemia. Guess that means I'm just lazy:)

It comes down to simply diet and exercise. Something I have to work on some more.

I'm 6'1" about 165 and I don't have much trouble with the cold - been diving all winter in my 5 mil suit.
I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I do Taji outdoors every day in pretty much the same outfit - regardless of weather. Normally I do not wear gloves - even down around 0f - typically my hands get very cold - quite painful for a bit - then warm up and feel great. I've been doing this outdoor practice for a few years now.

I notice when I'm diving in cold water it is important to stay active. If I start to get cold - pretty much allways on the surface - a good long dive will normally rectify it.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT