• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How could i make a makeshift weight belt?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

skarz

Rasta Freediver
Mar 4, 2004
Hey, i'm going diving all day tomorrow, and i have no weight belt. I was wondering if there was an easy way i could whip together a makeshift belt to use for the day. If you have any suggestions or ideas to try please give me your input before tomorrow. It's harding swimming down with a scuba wetsuit and my bouyancy with no weights!

*Sorry, i accidentally posted this in technique section*

if you have a really old wetsuit you dont mind cutting up, try cutting a long strip and make it really tight when wearing it, might work!

Not too complicated

Why not just grab a belt of your pants and attach some weights to it? Not the quickest release buckle for sure, so don't push it :) I'm wearing a pretty sturdy leather belt around by pants just now and can't see why it would not work as a half-assed weight belt. Might be ruined afterwards, but it's pretty old and worn anyway.

Not a long term solution for sure, but should be fine for a day...

I once made a temporary belt from the inside tubing of a bicycle (had some lying around for neck ballast). Worked ok for that session...

Last edited:
you can make a sheap rubber weight belt from the inner tube of a mountain bike tire...good for up to about 4 kg's ..cost about 2 Euros/dollars. Cut to length and attach a buckle... or use inner tube from an old car tire for a stronger version for more weights..a little more work and monney, but it works..

Johan

I was thinking an old belt would be fine, but the thing is i don't have any weights... is there any makeshift WEIGHTS i could use too?? I need to go earn some money, my stanky a@@ can't keep up!

Well for one thing, lead does not cost that much. I guess here it's around "a couple $" per kg, and you really should not need more than 3 kg.

But as a kid we did a pretty crazy experiment involving a garden hose, an inverted vacuum cleaner and a backpack full of rocks. It worked fine, but I would not recommend it to anyone ;) That's what my parents got for not paying my scuba course. But maybe if you have a durable bag or pocket or something you could try stuffing sand and rocks into it. I don't know, I would just buy some weihgts and fast for a day or something. Pays of eventually...

Edit: Oh forgot about the scuba suit. Depending on the suit 3 kg might be a bit understated (I need 10 kg for my 7mm scuba suit to even get below water).

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT