• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

How do I attach my line to the spear?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Pekka

neoprene dreamer
Aug 22, 2001
OK, this is soo stupid question...but hope it is ok at the beginner Hunting...

Alright.. I have had the unfortune of losing one of my spears as it broke away from the line I had attached to it...:head I don't want that to happen again...ever.:hmm
So how should I attach the line to end of the spear? I can not do normal knot as it is too big and will get cought to the piece at the very tip of the gun.. and what kind of material should the line be?
How often should I replace it..
I am propably asking something everybody knows, but hey.. I don't want to spend any money on new spears..

Thank you

Humbly.. Pekka

what you need to do is to tie a "bowline knott"...its pretty freking simple, it holds very tight, yet its ease to open later on and you can make it very, very, very, i mean very small if you are good with your hands.

i know the picture is really not well thoughout but this know is very well know in the boating world so just ask anyone in your local diveshop how to tie it...

good luck

Reactions: Pekka
mishu1984,
thank you.. What dort of material is the line.. do you use some strong fishing line or thin rope or what?

The most commonly used shooting line seems to be monofilament. Almost everyone that I know uses it. I personally use 400# line. To set it up, just crimp it to the shaft (make the loop big enough so the notch end of the spear can pass through it, this will allow the mono to travel in the wake of the shaft, then run it to your line attachment at the front of the gun.

Mono is what most guns come with as standard. Mono has the advantage of being knot free and being a lot tougher than some thin rope from the hardware store.

Reactions: Pekka
I am currently using .065" (.65mm) monofilament weed wacker line, the smallest diameter I could find a 600' spool of. I don't really trust crimped sleeves on monofilment. I prefer knots, but they can be much harder to tie properly and get the shaft line the proper length. I start by tying a perfection loop in the end that's going on the pigtail, then wrap the line on the gun to get the proper length and tie off to the shaft using a three turn uni-knot.
http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

I use pliers for the final tightening, but if they don't turn out perfect, they get cut off and retied, even if that means starting over with a new length of line.

I'm shooting Riffes, so I don't know if this set up will work on your gun or knot. (bu-da bomp):D

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT