• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

hOw Do I kNoW Im Cut Out FoR thIs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Mozzi

Feb 4, 2004
Hi there all...

This is such a great place to be.. (DeeperBlue.net)

Well Im a No1 Rookie here...

I would like to start freediving, but there is one question i ask myself all the time::

HOW DO I KNOW IF IM CUT FOR THIS SPORT?

Please be HONEST with me..
If you were to c a ROOKIE freedive for the first time.. How do you judge him. How can you tell if hes going to be a OK Freediver or how would you know he is wasting he’s time...

Please there must be some basic things that can tell you that you are not good enough to be in this sport!!

Thank you all for your time..
and hope to hear from all of you .. especially from the VETS..

Mozzi :)

hi

Mate you don't need to be cut out for anything, freediving is a peaceful activity that can be done at your own pace. Just being in the water and diving is a pleasure. You will progress naturally through diving, relaxation and practice.

It depends what you want out of this sport there is no such thing as "not being good enough" you should simply enjoy diving and not worry about others thinking you are good enough
;)

cheers

Thanx Andrew

Hi Andrew

Thank you!! It makes me feel better already!! Im so new to this and i were just scared that ill be judged by others.. But thank you for showing me that its all about enjoying yourself!!! :) :) :)

Cheers
Mozzi

Backing up what Ivan said,

Are you having fun when you freedive? If you are, then your cut out for this sport. If it's a torture, then you might want to try something else.

Going for depth, time, fish, ect. is fun and challenging, but there's something about just being in the water that I love about it.

Have fun,

Jon

Mozzi

Freedivers don't seem to judge each other all that much from what I have seen. The big egos found in technical diving (for example) don't seem at all prevalent in freediving. No one puts anyone else down because they don’t dive as deep and as you'll see on this site, all you get is good advice and encouragement, even from divers who are world class.

As for being an "OK" freediver, well I think almost anyone can freedive well enough to have fun and that's all that matters. Whether you dive to 10m or to 50m, you'll still enjoy yourself and you will NEVER be wasting your time, there's just too much to experience down there:)

Cheers

Ash

Hi ASH

Hi ASH

Thanx for your input and well thanx to everyone so far.. Its just great to know there is people like you in the freediving world.. it just makes things easier.. :) :) Cheers everyone..

I think surfing and freediving have always had a lot in common in this regard. There is the competitive side to both sports but also the pure enjoyment side as well. In surfing this is called "soul surfing" and when soul surfing the "best" is the person out there having the most fun! Same applies to freediving in my book. Only a few will be world record holders but a heap will be having a whole lot of fun!! Anybody who likes the water is cut out for latter group.

Hey Mozzi

You know before you get into the water if you're cut out for it.

If you get excited whilst packing your fins into your bag, if the drive to the ocean feels like the start of an adventure, and if, like me, you get a 'pre-freedive grin' as soon as you smell the shampoo used to get into a wetsuit...then it's 'your' kinda sport.

How you perform in the water is irrelevant. Its the entire journey that makes it worthwhile. And as long as you continue to get excited by the small things, one day you will suddenly notice that your performances are steadily improving.

Dive safe.

Jeff

Now this is what I call an encouraging thread! No reference has been made to age, sex, physical condition, IQ, macho points or anything else. An activity done for its own sake, sans score, sans invidious comparison, sans hierarchy! How . . . how 70's! I like this forum!

this is what i like most about freediving as compared to scuba, in scuba u are looked on as slightly lesser if your air consumtion is faster than that of the other divers but in freediving its all about the fun factor. As long as u enjoy it, it doesnt really matter if you can stay down 5 seconds or 5 minutes

..and there is not a single person here that wasnt a beginner when they first started out..:duh

If you believe in evolution, you are a mammal like porpoises and your ancestors long, long ago came from the sea.

You were born to be a freediver.

When you are in the water in a deep state of mind with enough oxygen, and when you "become" the water, nothing feels better.

I took a scuba diving class in Nashville, years ago.

I qualified but I haven't dived since. I didn't feel like spending all that money on equipment or even renting it, but more than that, I just didn't like the scuba tanks clanking around on my back.

Maybe they're plastic now and less "clanky" for all I know, but they're still there.

I like to swim free and unencumbered. I think that's the beauty of free diving, you're free. But there aren't any places around where I live that one can do any serious free diving so I'll probably do some snorkeling this summer.

But I may go up to Chicago and see if there is anything going on up there or maybe up to Wisconsin.

I should contact the Shedd Aquarium in Chicago and ask them if I can have a breath holding contest with their porpoises.

I'm sure it would be a first.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT